Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I'd spend $300 if I really thought I needed it. Much more and I'd be fixing one up. And it better have good looking followers and cams.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
At the other end of the scale, I bought a 2,000 mile CB450 engine with one stripped plug hole (repairable) a couple months ago, missing one valve cover and the alternator cover (but with the latest kickstart lever, and the front sprocket cover) for $75 . I had to go from mid-Florida to Atlanta to get it. I have another used 450 engine coming down from Wisconsin (sorry Lefty) with a friend who spends a few months there each summer and found it for $50, missing the entire alternator cover/stator and valve covers. Both seem to have decent cams and (hopefully, in the second case, only pictures so far) followers. Nothing like having a couple of good used crankshafts and transmission sets on hand, as well as another cylinder head

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
There's actually a couple 500t engines for sale in WI right now. Both seem like good runners for around $300. I thought about them for a quick way to test my race chassis but sportsman rules states "no strokes"

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Do they cc the engine? Other than the VIN and the size casting on the front of the cylinders, how would they know? Couldn't you just use it for practice, like the "test and tune" nights at the dragstrip? It would still be 500cc.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Do they cc the engine? Other than the VIN and the size casting on the front of the cylinders, how would they know? Couldn't you just use it for practice, like the "test and tune" nights at the dragstrip? It would still be 500cc.
There's also a built before 1971 cutoff date, but who knows, unless someone protests. A pre-68' 450 is eligible for 3 different classes. If I get serious that's the way to go. So we don't get off the ops subject, I got the low miles 450 engine I'm running now and lots of parts off of craigslist for $50.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hopefully dirty dog can find one for less than $300... but I suspect it might be more difficult to find 500T engines overall, since it was only made for 2 years

1 - 7 of 7 Posts