Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) I want to degrease the top of the engine (it's off).
I am assuming I really don't want to saturate the points and wiring with degreaser, right? What do I need to be careful about here?

2) If I pull off the covers on the sides of the cam shafts are the cam shafts coming out, or is there something else holding them inside? (I don't want to take them out)

3) The lock nuts on these covers turn, but not independently from the adjusting screws. I don't want to screw up the heads of the adjusting screws, any tips for breaking them loose other than careful perseverance?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
1.... Just remove the entire points plate......
2..... The "covers" are the cam journals (bearings) and require new gasketing if removed....The cam ends will be loose (unsupported)....
3.... IF you have rotated the locknuts/shafts at all you already have to re-adjust the valve clearances when reassembling.... Hold the shaft with a screwdriver, and loosen the nut....

NONE of the above steps were absolutely necessary to simply degrease, although step 1 is a good idea.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66Sprint said:
1.... Just remove the entire points plate......
2..... The "covers" are the cam journals (bearings) and require new gasketing if removed....The cam ends will be loose (unsupported)....
3.... IF you have rotated the locknuts/shafts at all you already have to re-adjust the valve clearances when reassembling.... Hold the shaft with a screwdriver, and loosen the nut....

NONE of the above steps were absolutely necessary to simply degrease, although step 1 is a good idea.....
Thanks, since I haven't done any of it yet I won't...except maybe the points.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts