Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of an engine build and am looking for educated opinions. It's a 1976 CB360T that never had the guide and slipper properly replaced (no punch marks on the engine serial number). Notice, I said properly replaced. They both broke at one point and rather than fish out the broken pieces, the PO left it in (other than what must have been accessible on top with the valve cover removed) and added "new" ones. I'm posting the entire build elsewhere and will add the link once I have, it's a doozie.

To the meat of the question. I can't find a cam chain (well,...Common-Motor has one, but it's cost is about the fourth of the value of the bike). The original one is acting as though it's bent between two links (presumably when a piece of shrapnel from the guide or slipper hung up in it). If you have a source, I'm open to hearing about it (eBay NOS are pricy too, and most look grungy).

Here's where I am looking for opinions. I found the OEM diagram on Western Hills Honda Yamaha site.
Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.50.04 AM.jpg

It states that it's a "92L DIADO" (92 Link). So I went to my cheap parts site, Partzilla, and searched that, returning this:

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.48.55 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 12.08.36 PM.jpg

Other than the part number, it appears to be the same cam chain. Even a Honda.
Does anyone have any thoughts, advice or apprehensions about trying to use this cam chain based on the information provided?
What unforeseen issues may I be overlooking?

Thanks for any help starting a conversation.

·
Registered
555 Posts
One consideration is that the OE cam chain is a DID 219 chain - if you get the DID 219H, which is more common, you can wind up with clearance issues. Are you replacing the tensioner damper while you’re in there? It got an upgrade in the recall, and yours has been ground flat if the engine ran at all with the blades broken.

EDIT: this is the thread I was thinking of. Looks like it may be a 450 issue with the 219H, so that might open some options up. https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/4...cam-chain-vs-original-did-219t-cam-chain.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@Spirograph:
Thank you for your input and the link. Per my questions, these are things I had not been thinking of so this is very helpful (especially that someone else has already done the analysis of the Common-Motor cam chain, as they post zero specs on their page which is a major turn off). Seems the 219T-92L is a fairly challenging cam chain to find.

BTW: Yes, Guide and Slipper are both getting replaced. There were actually three in the engine...one broken (the new Guide placed in front of the lower broken piece that was not removed, effectively just hanging from the upper mounting slot. Also, the curly part of the slipper one the top was also snapped, later found in the bottom of the transmission with other remnants. This engine probably should have been scraped...but I like a challenge I guess. I wouldn't have known, bought the bike and land the carbs, it ran. Tried starting it this summer, nothing. I suspected that there was a valve or ring issue, so took the top end off, that's when I discovered the broken guide.

IMG_6804.jpg
All of that came out of one engine...yeah, and it ran for 2 mins after clean the carbs....no idea how.

I did buy new guides/slipper through Common-Motor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I've seen these, just questioned the asking price when Common-Motor only wants $40, and the one I found was $29 (though it doesn't state if it's a 219t). I will probably end up going this route (eBay), since they actually post the product you're buying.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm a big fan of DID cam chains, I've used them on all the 450 rebuilds I've done over the years and have never had a problem with them. The 450 chain (128 links) is longer but actually around the same price or cheaper from the guy in Germany that many of us buy them from. I'm actually surprised that Common Motor is cheaper than someone else on something... it's usually the other way around

1 - 6 of 6 Posts