Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from my introduction - https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23-member-introductions/122328-greetings-bike-virgin-yorkshire-uk.html

I thought I'd start keeping a log of the progress with my CB360T.

I'm a complete beginner so any advice would be greatly received!

I'm hopefully renovating my house in March/April next year so will be moving out but I'll hopefully have the odd bit of free time over the next few months to make a start at getting the bike going.

The previous owner had done a few cosmetic updates - New tyres, tank paint, rims look good and also tried to salvage the side covers but these have cracked again already.

I'm going to work my way through the recommended 'just got the bike' guide which is a great help but Ive already removed the tank and seat to see what was there.

I'll upload some pics of my first look shortly.

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
...hopefully dreams and not nightmares,
although it does look like the set from an 80's horror movie :-?
like the one where there's a running car in the drive and instead, the people try to hide in the house - right where the chainsaw murderer is! and you're yelling at the TV "don't go in the front room..." :lol: oh, the horror

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This joint sells repro 360 side covers. Haven't bought side covers from them, but did buy the rubber air box connectors and were on point.

Honda 360's - Honda Retro CB
There must be some irony in the fact that those guys are in Minnesota which is where the bike originated but it's now in the UK :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like the one where there's a running car in the drive and instead, the people try to hide in the house - right where the chainsaw murderer is! and you're yelling at the TV "don't go in the front room..." :lol: oh, the horror
Haha, exactly! The guy used to be perfectly normal but years of trying to get his vintage honda running properly has driven him insane! :D

Hopefully in the sequel he finds hondatwins.net , becomes somewhat rehabilitated and the body count is heavily reduced.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Haha, exactly! The guy used to be perfectly normal but years of trying to get his vintage honda running properly has driven him insane! :D

Hopefully in the sequel he finds hondatwins.net , becomes somewhat rehabilitated and the body count is heavily reduced.
wait... you're not talking about yourself - are you?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Day 1 - Removed the tank & seat.

The fuel lines have clearly been on and off so weren't attached properly. They look worn so I'll look at replacing whilst keeping the spring wrap covers.

Looks like a new petcock.

The tank doesn't look too bad inside to me? There's old fuel and sediment floating about - I'm thinking of removing the petcock, checking that over, draining the tank and treating it although I won't need it for a while.

There was a little charge in the battery -
The rear light is constantly on, maybe due to the front brake and Master cylinder clearly needing a rebuild.
Horn works! *insert sound effect here* :)
All but one indicators (flashers in the US?) are working.
No controls for the headlight so I'm guessing this is always on when starting up?

The neutral light was working but stopped when I tried the gears which 'seem' to be ok.

No life from the starter button but the battery is really low now, I'll try charging it up.

The bottom of the bike was gunked up and I dont have the facility to clean it properly so I did what I could to get a look at the oil drain bolt...oh dear :-?
It looks like someone has been trying to get it off with there teeth!
I wanted to get the old oil out, clean the filter and get some fresh in but not sure the best way to proceed with the bolt head in that state. Im guessing I need to get it out, hope the thread is ok and find a replacement with suitable washer?

Before I go, please don't inundate me with requests as to where I got that beautiful wallpaper.....you can't buy style like that! :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Man, what a buzzkill... I WAS going to ask who the interior decorator was. It almost looks like you and the bike went through a time machine and ended up in the early 20th century here in America in that first picture.

Seriously, you might have to take a pipe wrench to the drain plug, or hammer a slightly smaller socket over it

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Thing I have found that works well on drain bolts that look like that is to make sure you use a 6 sided socket not a 12, that way you have more 'flat' in contact with what is left of the sides of the head. Then attach a breaker bar with a 3-4 foot long cheater pipe. Have someone hold the bike and just pull on the pipe in the correct direction, no yanking. They will come loose.

Tank wise, drain it, flush all the crap out then just fog the inside with a light oil like WD-40 or the like, close it up tight and put it away until you are ready to use it. If there is no major rust it will be fine and ready for you when you install it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Luckily, I've just bought some socket sets and they're good quality and six sided. Had an hour yesterday to have a look at it, free time isn't in abundance at the moment! After reshaping the bolt head slightly with a file the socket went on with a slight tap and I was able to free the chewed up bolt! Thankfully the thread is perfectly fine so just need to find a replacement bolt.
It was a good feeling to see the dirty old oil draining out.
Thanks for the tips, I'll sort the tank next before moving on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greetings from the front room garage, how long has it been? this is going to be a slower process than i thought!
This is my first weekend off since Christmas and managed to escape going to the cat sitters 50th birthday party....yeah you heard right, so got a couple of hours to look at the bike.
After draining the oil I thought I should remove the right side cover and get that filter cleaned, followed by adding some fresh oil before going onto anything else.

Having to take the right hand exhaust off gave me chance to have a look at it :/ I'd already felt a few holes on the underside but it doesn't look great.
My initial thought is to salvage the header and add a new muffler?

Being a complete novice I'm going to let the needs of the bike determine what the final outcome is, ie. keep stock, restomod, cafe,tracker etc..
Looking at the cost of replacing stock parts, like for like, is putting me off. There's a good chance it will end up being a mix of old and new styles.

Looking into the engine from where the pipe was removed looks a bit worrying to me, should there be that much build up inside?

Managed to loosen up all the case screws with a manual impact driver (how good are they!) Only one screw was nearly completely rounded out but manged to get it free at the last attempt.

I'm out of time now so I'll hopefully remove the cover tomorrow, clean the filter and tray, replace the cover gasket and put the cover back on with some new allen bolts that I purchased.

Hope everyone is having a great start to 2019! View attachment 273908 20190126_193938.jpg 20190126_193952.jpg 20190126_194001.jpg 20190126_195934.jpg 20190126_200010.jpg 20190126_202205.jpg

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nice 360, I bought a new one in 1975. Sounds like you have a US model. We have an always on headlight regulation. Your electrical problems sound like grounding (earth) problems. Look at the negative battery wire and follow it to where it connects to the frame/engine. Clean it up and reassemble it with wet enamel primer. The green wire in the wiring harness is the ground circuit. Inspect all of the wires and make sure the green wires are in good condition and properly connected to frame. Most of the turn signals have ground wires, especially the front signals and the light stems are grounded inside the headlight. The rear signals may have a ground wire, this depends on how they are mounted.

I thought everybody in England had wallpaper like that. :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Jim, that's a great help, it will give me a good place to start when looking at the electrics.
I'm hoping that comes sooner than replacing the wallpaper :)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Also, I use Caswell tank liner on all of my bikes. Depending on how badly rusted the tank is, I have used everything from vinegar to taking to a radiator shop. The Caswell is a two part epoxy product and seals the tak and will prevent future rusting. Follow the Caswell instructions, the process is very temperature sensitive especially for making sure the mixed material will evenly flow. I can drain the fuel from my bikes for long term storage and not worry about the fuel system rusting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That sounds ideal for me considering the adhoc nature my riding will be.
Been able to drain the tank and refill whenever suits is really convenient.
Just had a quick look and caswell is available over here but is pretty expensive. It's about four times the price of POR 15.
I'll see how flush I am when I get to that point :)

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
That poor things spent some time sliding on the right side didn't it. That rear break pedal is all bent out of shape as well its WAY too high.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That poor things spent some time sliding on the right side didn't it. That rear break pedal is all bent out of shape as well its WAY too high.
Yeah, something has definitely damaged it at some point :/ There's a couple of dents in the right side case too.

I think I'll have to source a new pedal at some point.

Not sure why the photo is upside down.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts