Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to this board - A few months ago I rebuilt the Carbs on my cb360 (click here for details) http://meandthismotorcycle.blogspot.com/2009/09/taking-break-from-cb125-to-rebuild.html. It worked fine. I just started the bike up (well I tried) and gas was pouring from the right bowl. Stuck float right? Well I opened up the bowl and the float was not stuck. Everything was replaced when I rebuilt these, but is something in wrong or in need of adjustment? It seems that the float doesn't stop the gas from flowing when manually pushed up by hand (I tried this). I have gone over the digram of the carb a dozen times but have no idea where to begin. There is some extra slack in the throttle cables, though I'm not sure if this would cause the problem or not.

Matt

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yah you're floats are out. Consult the manual. That's where my knowledge stops.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
To me it sounds like the float needle valve either has a damaged tip or seat (common) or it's missing.. Float needle valves almost always need replacing if a bike has sat several years in neglect..

The good new is that the float needle valves are cheap to replace..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced the float needles. Maybe they'r not seated properly? I guess I have to pull the carbs out and really go back over everything with a fine tooth comb.

Matt

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Matt... two points....
1.... New shut-off needles will require float level re-adjustment
2.... If you used any "tool" to clean the seat, you may have damaged it, and the fuel will never shut off...
If the fuel supply will not shut-off when you manually lift the float, something is wrong with the needle and seat.... could be as simple as a 'bit" of stuck rust, or it could require replacement.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
At this point I would probably pull the carbs off the bike and set the floats with real gas hooked up off-bike.
Makes a mess, you'll get over it.
The actual cutoff point may not be perceptible by eyeballing it, but you'll know if it's passin' gas or not..........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice guys. I did not readjust the float levels and I will try taking it out and running some fuel through it to see whats up. Now if it would stop snowing so I could get into my garage without the door getting snow drifted shut....

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Did you replace the o-ring on the float valve? Could be worn and leaky....

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same issue with my 360 due to the float adjustment. I pulled the carbs off and ran water (or fuel) through a hose connected to the carb and saw it coming out of the overflow and I adjusted the float by bending the tang on the float up until none came out (several attempts with small adjustments for me). The manual says 18.5 mm from carb level to top of float when it touches the needle but mine needed about 23mm or fuel dumped out the overflow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts