Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am slowly fixing up my old xl 185 just as a cruise around bike. it will start first kick every time when its cold but when you ride it for around a hour or so it becomes a lot harder to start. i dunno weather this is normal with this bike or something can be fixed to make it better. i receantly put new crank sprocket, cam chain, cam sprocket, exhaust valve and rings on it weather this has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Run a compression check cold, and warm.
Ask a auto mechanic what would cause a hard warm start.

i should kno, i work on cars....guess i fail huh

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The FIRST problem is that in 1975, it would have been an XL175...A 173cc SINGLE cylinder...... IF it IS an XL185S, (in the US), it would be a 1983 or 1984 model (possibly titled as an 85), 180cc single.....We'll need to know which as there are differences......The XL185S WAS sold elsewhere in the world after 84......

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
The XL175 debuted in '73 or so. The XL185 debuted (in the US) around 79 or so, yeah? And continued to about 84 or so. But, for a few years in the early 80s you could get an XL200 as well.

But, to your problem, my first thought was valve clearances too tight, closing up when warm, and making it hard to start.

Other hot-start problems might be some ignition component failing. Sometimes they'll act differently as they heat up.

That's about all I can think of off-hand.

Post some pictures of your ride, if you get a chance.

Kirk

*edit* oops, I just realized the original post is 6 months old!! Guess it probably don't apply no mo'... :)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Valve clearance, piston or ring clearances, electrical components that fail when hot, or a bad (weak) battery are all possibilities.....An improperly insulated carb can cause the fuel to expand and trickle to the cylinder, flooding it on hot re-start....Knowing which bike you actually have would/could help diagnose........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts