Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still new to motorcycles. I installed a rectifier/regulator combo Saturday. It all went well. Pretty simple. Rode around for about 15 miles or so in the neighborhood 35-40mph tops. No problems. I was generally pleased with how the bike ran.
I charged the battery on Sunday.
Went to ride some today and it started stumbling. I pulled the clutch and it died. Also a loud sharp squeak when it starts back up. I also heard it while riding a couple of times. Bike continued to stall and then die when I pulled the clutch if it wasn’t revved up.
Let it sit for a day and tried to ride again. I got about .5 mile away and it died completely and would not restart. No amount of kicking would get it going. Now it starts up but will die right away. Also, the sharp squeak is still there for the few second the bike is running.

The long story . . . the bike sat for about 15 years. The tank had been lined sometime long before that. The carbs were rebuilt by the local Honda shop last summer. It ran great for about 40 minutes then it began bogging down at about 4000 rpm. I could barely make it up my hill and my driveway. I replaced the fuel lines and petcock. The lines had filters on them and the petcock was leaking. It went back to running better. I decided to start making a few upgrades? Reg/Rect was the first one.

Anyway. Like I said I’m new to this. Can you folks help me learn what the problem is and if I can fix it or does it need to go to a shop? I'd love to learn to work on this myself.

Please see the video for the stumbling and squeaking. It is a youtube link. I cannot upload video here for some reason.
IMG 4132

Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Still new to motorcycles. I installed a rectifier/regulator combo Saturday. It all went well. Pretty simple. Rode around for about 15 miles or so in the neighborhood 35-40mph tops. No problems. I was generally pleased with how the bike ran.
Went to ride some today and it started stumbling. I pulled the clutch and it died. Also a loud sharp squeak when it starts back up. I also heard it while riding a couple of times. Bike continued to stall and then die when I pulled the clutch if it wasn’t revved up.
Let it sit for a day and tried to ride again. I got about .5 mile away and it died completely and would not restart. No amount of kicking would get it going. Now it starts up but will die right away. Also, the sharp squeak is still there for the few second the bike is running.

The long story . . . the bike sat for about 15 years. The tank had been lined sometime long before that. The carbs were rebuilt by the local Honda shop last summer. It ran great for about 40 minutes then it began bogging down at about 4000 rpm. I could barely make it up my hill and my driveway. I replaced the fuel lines and petcock. The lines had filters on them and the petcock was leaking. It went back to running better. I decided to start making a few upgrades? Reg/Rect was the first one.

Anyway. Like I said I’m new to this. Can you folks help me learn what the problem is and if I can fix it or does it need to go to a shop? I'd love to learn to work on this myself.

Please see the video for the stumbling and squeaking. It is a youtube link. I cannot upload video here for some reason.
IMG 4132

Please help. Thanks.
Hello, the squeak noise sounds to me like a head gasket leaking compression. The valvetrain (cam chain, valve clearance) is noisy. This engine needs top end removal and inspection of head gasket, cam chain tensioner, cam chain, cam lobes, rocker arms. Don't expect this to be reliable ride. Good Luck. John

·
Banned
279 Posts

IMG 4132

Please help. Thanks.
Yes, the top end sounds like the cam chain and possibly the valves need adjustment, but before I'd start tearing down the top end I'd check the compression on both cylinders followed by checking the carb boots for a leak. Leaky carb boots have been known to squeak and that would be a lot cheaper and far less work than a top end rebuild if that's all it was.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Another source of squeaks is the over-running electric starter clutch, on the rear of the rotor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts