Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my wallet have finally recovered it's time to dent it again! Finally stripping the CL down and doing a bunch of rebuilds. Unfortunately the PO cut the beautiful pipes down a inch or two before the mufflers start and of course he did it without jetting so she's running a bit rich. As a result of this, and in order to pass inspection, I'll be needing some new mufflers to put on. Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations that'll fit the CL as her pipes are quite close with little clearance. At this point stock isn't really an option because spending over $300 on someone's sub-par, rusty pipes doesn't sit right with me.

Basically looking for something on the shorter side that won't get in the way of bike, i.e. don't want to do any ridiculous mods looking for the closest I can get to plug and play. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Take a look at some of the baffled exhaust tips available for the air cooled VWs, YouTube has some before and after comparisons showing just how much these affect sound levels. They're also a popular mod for the Triumph scramblers.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Are they cut in such a way that you can use slip-ons? You may need to clean up his cuts. Before I got ahold of CL pipes, I was using these: https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vint...s-19-inch-trumpet-style-muffler-80-84010.html and they worked beautifully. A bit shorter than stock, and you run the new hangers from the passenger foot peg bolts.

Edit: It’s worth noting that the usual advice for the 360 is that the exhaust runs to the back axle. The further forward you go, the more interesting tuning can get, as they like a bit of back pressure.

Edit edit: d’oh. It’s early in the UK, sorry. I’m using Emgo shorties on my CL pipes - https://www.ebay.com/p/EMGO-Muffler-Slash-Cut-80-45700-826091/1832895509

They also work splendidly on CL pipes. The batting will blow out of them in a week, so just pull it and repack with steel wool and they get slightly less loud. Same rules still apply for length, though; line consistently runs a hair lean once it gets to temp, but that keeps her idling happily.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He got the pipes cut professionally so the cuts are definitely clean enough to put slip-ons on. Only hard part will be getting the caps he got put on the ends out.

I was looking at those Emgos was worried about sizing but looks like they'll do the job. Probably will upgrade later but looking to get this bike tuned, street legal, and happy first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts