Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks so i'm new here and I allready posted these pics in the member intro section but thought this might be a more apropriate place to document my work.

Tasks to be Completed (in somewhat order of importance);
Finish Engine Tune up:
  • Check Valve Clearance[/*:m:21vhtbtc]
  • clean/replace points[/*:m:21vhtbtc]
  • Replace coils(?)[/*:m:21vhtbtc]
  • Adjust engine timing[/*:m:21vhtbtc]
  • Try and figure out why it keeps dying at idle speed[/*:m:21vhtbtc][/list:eek::21vhtbtc]
    Cosmetics/Convenience
    • Replace original Headlight and Front turn signals[/*:m:21vhtbtc]
    • Fix Right Rear turn signal[/*:m:21vhtbtc]
    • Fix Horn[/*:m:21vhtbtc]
    • Try and fix reserve setting on petcock[/*:m:21vhtbtc]
    • Try and Replace Speedo/Tacho/Indicator Display[/*:m:21vhtbtc]
    • Clean EVERYTHING[/*:m:21vhtbtc][/list:eek::21vhtbtc]

Not exactly trying to make a pristine restoration. Just something that looks and runs well
      This is my very first bike. What do yall think?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Looks like you're in a lot better shape to start than most of us here - we usually have to start with complete rust-buckets, because we're all essentially broke.

Good idea to replace the coils - somewhere on this site is a post with photos regarding how I did it with new aftermarket coils from Mike's XS Shop. Don't bother with used ones, they're probably no better than what you have.

Most everything you need is interchangeable with the 450 parts, so you should be in good shape generally.

And as for rust removal, MSR (Milk Stone Remover) is all I have to say.

Keep us posted ??

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Clean your tank and your carbs. The pilot jet is more than likely clogged causing the idle issues. That's my guess. Pick yourself up a couple inline fuel filters to use after cleaning the tank and carbs. You'll be glad you did.

I've bought and then re-sold sold more bikes than I could count, and alot because of clogged pilot jets. Once a complete cleaning of the carbs was done, they all generally at least try to come to life. After that it's a matter of points and the timing needing set/adjusted.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figured you'd say that after lurkin around the site a bit more. ;) It also died after rolling on hard and letting go quick so i figured it might also be the air valve. dunno but a cleaning is definitely in order. Already been looking for some carb cleaner but the local motorcycle shop recently had a huge fire so they don't keep much in stock right now. I assume most automotive stores should have this type of thing though yeah. Also the misfiring. would new coils/points/condenser and timing alleviate this? I figure this is something i should address to get more life out of my bike.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'm wondering if you just couldn't replace those carbs with some much simpler 450 carbs??
No air cut valves, lots less unnecessary crapola......

You'd probably need to tweak the jetting a bit, but it would sure make your life simpler.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not a bad idea but before I consider doing anything drastic I would like to try and fix what I got. So far I took apart the carbs and cleaned em up. Put em back on last night (in the rain on the sidewalk of NYC, that was fun...) It no longer missfires but now it simply won't idle unless i roll on the throttle a lil. I guess I'm just gonna adjust the throttle stop screws and the pilot screw to get an acceptable idle. Thoughts? I will update later today with photos (serious this time)

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So looks like I gotta clean out the ol carbs again cause it still won't idle with choke fully closed. I can get the choke just allmost closed but not quite anyway. I installed the original airboxes with filters today but am still waiting on the side covers from ebay. Here is a pic taken today.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Alfalfa said:
So looks like I gotta clean out the ol carbs again cause it still won't idle with choke fully closed. I can get the choke just allmost closed but not quite anyway. I installed the original airboxes with filters today but am still waiting on the side covers from ebay. Here is a pic taken today.
If it won't run unless you use the choke, then it's starving for fuel or else jetted way too lean (same effect).

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That two into one pipe is gonna complicate your issues. You'll need to verify carb condition, tank condition, then check static timing and synch the carbs last.

If it's not the pilot jets being clogged causing idle problems then it has'nt been properly jetted for that pipe.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GB thanks you have a point about the pipes. It still has the original jets so you may be right about that. Kinda wanted to put the original pipes back on anyway. Do you still have that cb500t set, i think i saw you posted about them a while ago.

JRK:
You can't be serious. That little midget headlight was weak. Now I can actually see where I'm going at night.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Tell ya what. I'll sell you the CB500T headpipes and the center collector thing and it's clamps etc, on the cheap. There are NO MUFFLERS. It'd be a good cheap start to an original exhaust system though. You could stick with that exhaust. I've seen and used way worse than that. It's your call though.

I'll go out to the shed right now and pull em out. I'll check condition and MAYBE post up a picture... I'll reply back with a price. It'll be cheap. ;)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I gave them a very quick once over with polish but ran out. They need a good rubbing with polish and some fine steel wool to look really good. The center collector is the worst of the bunch. It's got more surface rust than anything else, but some brushing and high temp paint would sure cure that. There are no holes anywhere. They just need tlc. There's quite a bit of staining and burnt on gunk, but it'll rub off with solvent or polish.

Most of what you see is burnt on gunk and caked on oil, etc.

Your call my friend!! If you're interested then PM me your address and I'll get a shipping quote after work on Monday.

Say, you were'nt talking about the other pipes I've got were you?? :| The straight pipes??

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Alfalfa said:
Not exactly trying to make a pristine restoration. Just something that looks and runs well
What do yall think?
Just my opinion, since you asked for it......

If you're not doing a persnickety restoration, then lose the 500 pipes.
That center connector thing is about the worst idea Honda ever had - just made to rust out and cause problems with properly balancing the carbs.
There are plenty of aftermarket mufflers that don't cost much and will look terrific, all shiny and nice.
And I think that 450 headers might bolt right up - someone slap me if I'm wrong...... (I sure wish Steve would come back, he knows all this sort of stuff).

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The center collector does'nt actually connect the pipes for exhaust gas to flow freely through. There's only 4 tiny holes that connect them. I can't see where it would make that big of a difference, but that's just me. I think it might equalize the pressures in the pipes a tad.. I was only gonna charge him the cost of shipping and $10 for the pipes. Was that too much??

I also have some nicer 450 headers available... ;) But they won't be cheap. Of course I've always got those CB500T straightpipes. Your neighbors would LOVE you!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
The center collector does'nt actually connect the pipes for exhaust gas to flow freely through. There's only 4 tiny holes that connect them. I can't see where it would make that big of a difference, but that's just me. I think it might equalize the pressures in the pipes a tad.. I was only gonna charge him the cost of shipping and $10 for the pipes. Was that too much??

I also have some nicer 450 headers available... ;) But they won't be cheap. Of course I've always got those CB500T straightpipes. Your neighbors would LOVE you!!! :twisted:

No, the price is right.
But even 4 small holes will affect things - just like any exhaust "leak".
They sure are rust magnets too.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alright guys time for me to dig this thread out of the weeds:

Update:
about a year ago a I was just messin around with the engine and spark plugs and ended up stripping out the left plug on the head... Grr. So after I spit and cuss I put new threads in it. Wanting to save time I didn't take the head off and just decided to wing it and re-thread with the engine intact. You prolly don't have to think too hard to figure out what happened next. No starting at all not even the other cylinder. And it made some pretty nasty noises as I was trying to kick start it. Like metal scraping on metal.... Without giving you my life story (well maybe just part of it) I bought a new (2000) suzuki crotch rocket and then subsequently totaled it (only a month later!) and messed up my knee. Anyhow I'm back to workin on this gal after giving up on it for nearly a year. This time I want to do things right and not try and cut so many corners! The engine is on my table in my tiny NY apartment. Pictures and comments thoroughly welcome.

-Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
more disassembled photos:

Thanks to all the knowledge here I have gotten farther into the head than ever (ok so i technically never opened an engine before but hey). Gonna take those crusty valves and head to a mechanic tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.