Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased this a 75 cb360t on Sunday and while I have a good deal of mechanical experience, I'm new to the motorcycle world. I had only putted around my neighborhood the first few days not going over 35.

Finally took it out Wednesday evening where I could get it up to speed. Was idling fine and sounded normal when I fired it up. Then as I got out she was popping a little bit. Got it on the highway and it wouldn't go above 50. after a little bit, I could feel it get more power and it got up to 75. As soon as I got off the highway it was back to popping a good bit and would die at idle at stop lights. could feel when the left cylinder would fire sporadically as there was a bump in power momentarily.

Took it home and fired it up, pulled the left spark plug wire off and no change in sound. I didn't have a spark checker, but it shocked me when I pulled it off while running which leads me to believe it's got power. Switched the left and right plugs, same problem same side. ran a compression test, and cranking with the throttle open was getting around 150 which I read was within spec. spark plug smelled like gas but wasn't visibly wet. Read up on the fuel/air mixture screw. set it at two turns out, and still the same problem. I'm leading towards having carb issues. anyone encounter a similar issue or possibly have a direction they could steer me in. I'm wondering if one of the membranes is cracked. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Start with a basic tuneup if not recently done. New plugs and points (properly adjusted), valve adjustment, you've already got the compression readings. The mixture screws are for adjusting the mixture at idle, they have diminished effect at higher throttle settings.

Do you have the factory service manual?

Welcome to the group.

Got pictures?:p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
found the service manual here. you guys rock! picking up points and plugs this weekend. wouldn't the plug be getting wet if it was a spark issue?

here's a pic from the ad i bought it from. stock seat flipped up, new seat wasnt mounted yet.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/2zT8NJN"><a href="//imgur.com/2zT8NJN"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

embedded link isn't working for some reason, here's a link https://imgur.com/a/2zT8NJN

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Left carb seems to collect more crap as bike is usually parked on side stand. normally it's pilot jets that get blocked though. There are drain screws on float bowls, may be worthwhile draining to see whats in there? Also, if battery voltage is low it often causes miss-fire, you don't have equal firing impulse so coil doesn't charge properly. Lot of people seem to have charging problems with 350/360, personally I find system fine as long as all the grounds are clean and fuse box hasn't corroded through wires or fuse contacts. One issue I have seen several times (on 400f and various other Honda's) the red (sometimes red/white)wire on rectifier corrodes through or is pretty 'green'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts