Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have recently finished rebuilding my '75 CB360 and have started taking it out on test rides. Was out on the streets nearby yesterday and stopped to adjust something. While I was doing so, the engine died, despite being in neutral. When I attempted to restart, the bike jerked forward like it was in gear and would only start without moving if I held the clutch in. I got the bike back mostly without incident, but then determined I couldn't move the bike (i.e., the rear wheel wouldn't move) unless I held the clutch lever in while walking it back into the garage. Now I've got the bike up on the center stand and observed a few things:
  1. Although the engine reports that it's in neutral (the neutral light is on, I can feel it click from first to neutral with the shift pedal), I can only move the rear wheel if I hold the clutch lever in and even then it drags a bit (it won't spin around more than once before stopping). In addition, I can only actually rotate it if I rotate the wheel back a bit first and then spin it forward.
  2. If I shift the bike into first, the rear wheel will not move, even with the clutch lever pulled in.
  3. The rear wheel rotates if I use the kick start or the electric start.
I went through the process of adjusting the clutch but that did not fix the issue. I have the feeling I'm going to have to pull open the right side of the case and look at the clutch basket, but I figured I'd check to see if anyone on the forums had any ideas before I did so. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have recently finished rebuilding my '75 CB360 and have started taking it out on test rides. Was out on the streets nearby yesterday and stopped to adjust something. While I was doing so, the engine died, despite being in neutral. When I attempted to restart, the bike jerked forward like it was in gear and would only start without moving if I held the clutch in. I got the bike back mostly without incident, but then determined I couldn't move the bike (i.e., the rear wheel wouldn't move) unless I held the clutch lever in while walking it back into the garage. Now I've got the bike up on the center stand and observed a few things:
  1. Although the engine reports that it's in neutral (the neutral light is on, I can feel it click from first to neutral with the shift pedal), I can only move the rear wheel if I hold the clutch lever in and even then it drags a bit (it won't spin around more than once before stopping). In addition, I can only actually rotate it if I rotate the wheel back a bit first and then spin it forward.
  2. If I shift the bike into first, the rear wheel will not move, even with the clutch lever pulled in.
  3. The rear wheel rotates if I use the kick start or the electric start.
I went through the process of adjusting the clutch but that did not fix the issue. I have the feeling I'm going to have to pull open the right side of the case and look at the clutch basket, but I figured I'd check to see if anyone on the forums had any ideas before I did so. Thanks in advance for your help.
Remember these are wet clutches and they will have some drag even when disengaged in gear. This sounds to me like it isn't really in neutral. Possible your neutral switch contact has slipped causing it to read neutral when it isn't. I'd forget the neutral light for now and use your hand to find neutral with the shifter, then see how things are

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense, although I can definitely feel it click into first, neutral, and second using the shifter. I will give it another shot before I crack open the clutch basket for a look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts