Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first bike ever. 1975 CB200T. Just 2754 miles. Seems complete, but that's what we're here to find out. Got it home Wednesday but promised the wife I'd finish the stone patio first, so first chance to work on it was this afternoon. Only thing I needed to do to it when I got it home was get some PB Blaster on the center-stand. It was rusted tight so that any time I tried to push it down, the rear brake would come up and hit the exhaust. A few minutes of coaxing got it loose. I also removed the plugs and sprayed some PB in the cylinders to soak overnight. And I got a spare key made (only had the one).

[attachment=3:2jnn6qp8]2012-04-06_18-08-03_23.jpg[/attachment:2jnn6qp8]

As you can see, it has a fair amount of surface rust, but nothing deeper than that from what I can see. It hasn't been touched in at least 5 years (2007 was the date on the old battery). I got some Diet Coke and Aluminum foil to try on the chrome. Has anybody tried that? I also picked up some Mother's VLR Vinyl/Leather care for the seat. It's intact with no tears, but it's dirty and I'd like to make sure it's supple before sitting on it too much.

[attachment=4:2jnn6qp8]2012-04-05_12-53-02_945.jpg[/attachment:2jnn6qp8]

[attachment=0:2jnn6qp8]2012-04-06_18-02-06_724.jpg[/attachment:2jnn6qp8]

Serial numbers on the frame and engine don't match, but they are close, which seems correct for the period. CB200-2020576 and CB200E-2020668. Tires will need to be replaced before I would ride it, but once it's running, the rest will be cleaned up one piece at a time. Michelin Gazelles look like a good choice for a basic road tire. Other suggestions?

[attachment=2:2jnn6qp8]2012-04-06_18-03-58_234.jpg[/attachment:2jnn6qp8]
[attachment=1:2jnn6qp8]2012-04-06_18-09-44_91.jpg[/attachment:2jnn6qp8]

I got a new battery and hooked it up today. The switches took a few clicks back and forth to work, but all four blinkers work, headlight high and low beams work, rear running and brake light (from both front and rear brake), speedometer is illuminated but tach is not. No neautral light. No horn. Starter works, but sounds a little weak. I only gave it a quick spin. Spark plugs were unplugged at the time. I don't have an owner's manual, so a few basic questions: When I turn the key to the first position, the lights come on (headlight, instruments, rear running). When I turn it to the second position, both headlight and instrument lights go out, but rear running light stays one. Is that correct? The starter seems to work in either position. I tested for spark but couldn't get any. Is there a required procedure for starting (apply front brake, key in first position, etc.)? As mentioned, this is my first bike. By the way, does anybody have a copy of the owner's manual? I've downloaded the shop manual, but the owner's manual would be helpful too.

I tested both cylinders with just the kick starter and got 85 to 90 PSI. Does that seem reasonable for a cold engine using just the kicker?

I plan on cleaning out the carbs and cleaning up the brakes (both brakes work, even the funky front cable disc setup). After that, I'll get oil and gas in her and see if she'll fire up. Once I know the engine, brakes, and electrical works, I can begin investing in the clean-up of the appearance. No sense doing that until she's running.

Any suggestions on other first steps are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
bagpiper22 said:
Just picked up my first bike ever. 1975 CB200T. Just 2754 miles. Seems complete, but that's what we're here to find out. Got it home Wednesday but promised the wife I'd finish the stone patio first, so first chance to work on it was this afternoon. Only thing I needed to do to it when I got it home was get some PB Blaster on the center-stand. It was rusted tight so that any time I tried to push it down, the rear brake would come up and hit the exhaust. A few minutes of coaxing got it loose. I also removed the plugs and sprayed some PB in the cylinders to soak overnight. And I got a spare key made (only had the one).

[attachment=3:f6hveeni]2012-04-06_18-08-03_23.jpg[/attachment:f6hveeni]

As you can see, it has a fair amount of surface rust, but nothing deeper than that from what I can see. It hasn't been touched in at least 5 years (2007 was the date on the old battery). I got some Diet Coke and Aluminum foil to try on the chrome. Has anybody tried that? I also picked up some Mother's VLR Vinyl/Leather care for the seat. It's intact with no tears, but it's dirty and I'd like to make sure it's supple before sitting on it too much.

[attachment=4:f6hveeni]2012-04-05_12-53-02_945.jpg[/attachment:f6hveeni]

[attachment=0:f6hveeni]2012-04-06_18-02-06_724.jpg[/attachment:f6hveeni]

Serial numbers on the frame and engine don't match, but they are close, which seems correct for the period. CB200-2020576 and CB200E-2020668. Tires will need to be replaced before I would ride it, but once it's running, the rest will be cleaned up one piece at a time. Michelin Gazelles look like a good choice for a basic road tire. Other suggestions?

[attachment=2:f6hveeni]2012-04-06_18-03-58_234.jpg[/attachment:f6hveeni]
[attachment=1:f6hveeni]2012-04-06_18-09-44_91.jpg[/attachment:f6hveeni]

I got a new battery and hooked it up today. The switches took a few clicks back and forth to work, but all four blinkers work, headlight high and low beams work, rear running and brake light (from both front and rear brake), speedometer is illuminated but tach is not. No neautral light. No horn. Starter works, but sounds a little weak. I only gave it a quick spin. Spark plugs were unplugged at the time. I don't have an owner's manual, so a few basic questions: When I turn the key to the first position, the lights come on (headlight, instruments, rear running). When I turn it to the second position, both headlight and instrument lights go out, but rear running light stays one. Is that correct?...YES...Position one is on/run, two is park The starter seems to work in either position. I tested for spark but couldn't get any. Spark only occurs in position one with BOTH plugs grounded simultaneously Is there a required procedure for starting (apply front brake, key in first position, etc.)? As mentioned, this is my first bike. By the way, does anybody have a copy of the owner's manual? I've downloaded the shop manual, but the owner's manual would be helpful too.

I tested both cylinders with just the kick starter and got 85 to 90 PSI. Does that seem reasonable for a cold engine using just the kicker? ...Try again with throttle and choke wide open (no restrictions)....Expected cold readings are around 155.....

I plan on cleaning out the carbs and cleaning up the brakes (both brakes work, even the funky front cable disc setup). After that, I'll get oil and gas in her and see if she'll fire up. Once I know the engine, brakes, and electrical works, I can begin investing in the clean-up of the appearance. No sense doing that until she's running.

Any suggestions on other first steps are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. I re-tested compression with choke and throttle wide open. It got up to 130 psi on both sides after about 10 kicks. Not 155, but getting closer. That's also "dry", with no recent oil in the cylinder. I'll try again with a small bit of oil.

I got the seat, gas tank, and air filters off easily enough. Looks like a previous battery overflowed at some point. I'll need to see if there's any corrosion on any of the electrical parts in the vicinity.

[attachment=4:1sof7uz7]2012-04-08_15-16-25_968.jpg[/attachment:1sof7uz7]
[attachment=3:1sof7uz7]2012-04-08_15-20-59_599.jpg[/attachment:1sof7uz7]
[attachment=2:1sof7uz7]2012-04-08_15-35-32_93.jpg[/attachment:1sof7uz7]

Still no spark. I put one plug in it's place as normal and removed the other to hold against the head. Ignition key to RUN position and hit the starter. Nothing. Swapped set-up and tried other side. Nothing. Should I be applying front brake or clutch during start? I know some bikes need brake applied to allow spark. Side note: Headlight comes on when key turned to RUN, but goes off when I hit the starter. That seems normal to me, but thought I should check. Battery is new.

I'll be opening and cleaning the switch compartments on both handles. There's a good chance the kill switch is dirty. That happenend to me on a scooter I recently rebuilt. Spent days testing electrical circuits and almost ordered a new CDI and coil. Turned out small amount of crud on the kill switch was preventing spark.

As I got the air boxes off, I could see some grime around one of the Tappet covers on the head. Seems like a weak seal around the left rear one. The rest look ok. Could that affect compression?

[attachment=1:1sof7uz7]2012-04-08_15-17-21_126.jpg[/attachment:1sof7uz7]

So, that's all I could squeeze in before family starts arriving for Easter dinner. Now I can get to the carbs, trace the electrical wires and test connections, and clean up the gas tank and fuel filter.

[attachment=0:1sof7uz7]2012-04-08_15-21-10_174.jpg[/attachment:1sof7uz7]

Thanks, and Happy Easter.

Scott

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Quick "kill" switch (elimination from circuit) test.... Jump any main harness (not switch harness) "Hot" lead (Black wire) directly to the black/white wire from the coil... Turn key on, check for spark as before(one plug in and the other exposed but grounded).... You CAN jump directly from the battery to the black/white to verify coil works, but don't leave it connected too long unless bike is running....(You can burn-up the coil)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Happy to find another first bike/ cb200 in the works. We should stay tight we may have many questions for each other as we get them road ready. Here is a nice checklist i found on the forum that has 6 first steps when dealing with old honda twins. You work on scooters so i bet you are already on your way to most of this stuff. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13346&start=20

Some real cool people on here willing to help. Cant wait to see what you do to her.WELCOME.

Here is my project log. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13346

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aaron, let's stay connected for sure. I'm looking forward the the restoration ahead. Figure I'll get the motor running, then worry about the looks.

Thanks for the link. I actually found that before I got my bike, and it was very helpful.

I might not get too much done now until the weekend. Busy week ahead.

Talk to you soon,

Scott

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally had a chance to work on my baby. Still not running, but I think we're getting close.

I spent WAY too much time getting the rear brake lever to work properly. It had rusted to the shaft that goes through the center stand. What a mess. I finally got it loose, but it took 2 hours of coaxing.

[attachment=2:1amivp8m]029.JPG[/attachment:1amivp8m]

Then I cleaned out the carbs and fuel filter. Carbs were pretty clean, all things considered. Changed the oil too. One question: Before draining the oil I removed the generator cover to check the rotor, and oil came out. A lot. Is that normal? I didn't think that area would have oil.

Next came the points, so see if that's why I have no spark. It was a mess, so I cleaned it up and cleaned the points.

[attachment=1:1amivp8m]036.JPG[/attachment:1amivp8m]

After that, I had spark on the left side, but not the right. The spark plug boots seem a bit loose on the end of the coil wires. I need to test the coil, but not sure of the best way to do it. Ideas?

I also opened up the Headlight to see if the wires in there were ok. What a bird's nest, and tons of spider webs? But, everything seemed connected, except there was one brown wire coming from the harness that had no match. Maybe for an option that the CB200T doesn't have?

So, once I can get spark, she should be good to go. Then I can get busy with the cleaning, which will take a while.

Here she is, just waiting for next weekend...

[attachment=0:1amivp8m]038.JPG[/attachment:1amivp8m]

Thanks in advance for all the help,

Scott

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Because of the way the coil is wound/connected, in order to have spark on one side you MUST be able to achieve or be achieving ground on BOTH HT leads..... But that does not mean it has to occur by jumping the spark-plug gap, it can occur anywhere (lead, cap, coil to chassis, etc..)..... Here's a schematic/pictorial of the 175 coil (essentially identical to your 200 one).....

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She runs!!! Thanks for the great tips. I tested voltage all the way from battery to plugs. The points were the problem. Very very dirty. Once I cleaned them I had spark on both sides. Once i saw spark, i put the gas tank back in place and hit the starter button. It took a bit of coaxing to get it to start, but once it caught...What A SOUND. great low rumble. I was literally jumping for joy. It idles a bit high (1900 or so), but I can deal with that.

I put it back together and took it out for a ride. What a blast. Even more fun than I imagined. I probably put 20 miles on it just "going around the block".

Now I need to get it cleaned up. Lots of surface rust to deal with, and my horn doesn't work, but I think that's the only functional problem.

Only question I have is if the points cover should get so hot. It got pretty hot after riding it for about 20 minutes. Forgive the newbie question, but this is my first bike, so there are basic things I just don't know.

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice job. It sounds like you are hooked. These bike are a lot of fund to ride. The bike looks great too.

It is not unusual for the points cover to get hot. After 20 minutes the bike is probably reached full running temperature. It will probably will be pretty hot to work with.

Ride safe-
Georelle

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that she's running, I'll be getting new tires. I know this is a subject of great debate, but I'm wondering about options. I only plan on back-road cruising, with minimal highway speeds. The Michelin Gazelles are certainly priced right ($20-30 each on J&P Cycles). However, I don't want to go SO cheap that I'm costing myself safety.

It has Yokohama tires on now, with a ribbed tread in front and a slightly more knobby tread in back. I like the look, but I mostly care about handling and durability. I'm not out to win any beauty contests!.

Thanks for any advice.

Scott

Here's front tire
[attachment=2:mwahb6hp]038 (2).JPG[/attachment:mwahb6hp]

Here's back tire
[attachment=1:mwahb6hp]028.JPG[/attachment:mwahb6hp]

Here you can see both...
[attachment=0:mwahb6hp]026.JPG[/attachment:mwahb6hp]

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Let me know what tires you get and how you like them. I have read good things about the Gazelles.

OK SCOTT and all, time for a stupid question from me. In what position should the petcock be when off on and rez??? I feel like i leave mine on all the time. Tank empty after a few days and gas in the oil. Please let me know. I know, stupid but its driving me crazy time for me to just come out and ask. PS I also am re working a cb200 right now. Scott knows but you other guys may not. Thanks ALL.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Sideways is off for sure. On mine, Aiming down is on and up is reserve. By aiming, I mean like a weathervane, where the longer tab on the valve is opposite your selection. Hope that helps.

On a related thought, it seems there would be spare gas at the bottom of the right side if the tank. The way it straddles the frame, it appears a pint or more would stay over there and never make it to the petcock. I've wondered if you were to run out of gas, if you leaned the bike way over to the left if that gas would get you home. Just a random thought.

here's some pics of my petcock. I looked online and others from 1975 looked different, but here's what I have:

Off

ON

Reserve

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got to work on my ride today...got the RPMs in line. Around 1200 or so. I think I did it right: turned out air screws 1 1/4 from closed, then backed out throttle screws until RPMs came down. Did the same procedure on both sides, one twist at a time so the cylinders stayed in sync. I didn't want one revving high while the other slowed down. Seems to be running ok, but I didn't ride it much after that. We'll see.

I learned something about the horn: there's a small screw on the back of the horn to adjust the tone. If that's screwed in all the way, like mine was, your horn makes no sound, and you order another one off eBay. At least that's what I did. Then today, before my replacement horn even arrived, I was trying a few things and loosened the little screw. Lo and behold: BEEP. Oh well, now I have a spare horn.

I've been cleaning up the chrome a bit. Aluminum foil and diet coke works well. I'll start in on the engine next. No crazy polishing, but I want to remove all the white dusty crust on it (oxidized aluminum?). I have new tires coming this week, so when I remove the old tires I'll work in the rims. They're pretty bad. I'll also get to the fenders then too.

Aside from that, I've been tooling around the neighborhood and having a blast. It's insured and has a temporary registration. The DMV needs to inspect it, then I'll get regular plates (Early American - saves on taxes). Then I need to get my motorcycle operator's license. I know how to ride, but I actually think the safety course will be worthwhile. Can't hurt.

That's it for now!

Scott

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought I'd post the latest photo. Still need to get her all cleaned up, but I do love this bike. One of the new tires arrived today (shipment got split). Hopefully the other will come this week so I can get the new ones on this weekend.

More to come!

Scott
[attachment=0:2nmj8mpr]013b.jpg[/attachment:2nmj8mpr]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I'm enjoying the thread Scott as I've approched my CB200 resto from the other end - i.e. rolling chassis before engine (see My first resto - CB200UK).

Your experience with sorting engine issues have been noted and I'm sure will come in very useful once I start on mine. I'll be only too happy to relate my experiences on the rolling chassis side of things.

Keep up the good work!

Barry

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Barry,

Thanks. I'll be getting into the body work now that the engine is running nicely. New tires go on this weekend, and that will give me a chance to work on the rear brake, chain, rims, and fenders. I don't need it to sparkle, but it want it all clean and properly lubed.

Scott

1 - 20 of 41 Posts