Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I spent the day putting a new starter switch into my 1975 CB200T. After running the wires through the bars and feeding them into the bucket, I ran into another issue.

Working:
Turn signals and relay
Starter switch and kill
Brake Lights
Horn

I cannot find out why my headlights (low, high and its indicator light) will not turn on. I am not the best with wiring, but I have a clymer manual handy. Attached is a picture with the bucket. If you can spot my mistake, please let me know.

Thanks
Evan

20180218_173127.jpg

·
Registered
971 Posts
If all three are out, the first thing I would check would be to ensure the green ground wires are properly connected. Use a multimeter to ensure you have low resistance between all of the green wires and ground. 1 Ohm or under is usually sufficient.

If that doesn't pan out, the dark blue wire is for the high beam and high beam indicator light (it's shared between the two) and the white wire is for low beam.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will check next time I'm in the garage. Is it possible that the problem has something to do with contacts on the headlight switch?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The green wires are all have a good connection. I am thinking it might be a brown/white wire not connected, I will check next time I'm out. Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
From the picture it looks like your Blue/White wires are not seated together very well. That may be the issue.

The original CB200T starter switch has 3 wires.
Black - power
Red/Yellow - Starter
Blue/White - Headlight
With an ohm meter you can verify your switch is working.
Starter Button UP (not pressed): Black and Blue/White are shorted. Black and Red/Yellow are Open.
Starter Button pressed: Black and Blue/White are open. Black and Red/Yellow are shorted.
If you connect the black lead back to the black gang connector you should have power to the Blue/White lead. You can test this by just plugging in your high beam indicator blue wire into the Blue/White from your new switch. When all is right with the starter switch the High beam indicator should come one. It should also turn off when you press the starter switch.

If this all works as expected, then move to the High/Low switch on the cluch side. The Blue/White feeds the power to the High/Low switch. High is the Blue Wire and Low is the White wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info wolfrider! I getting very confused at the wires purposes but this cleared it up. I did install a new starter switch. I ended up buying an entire handlebar assembly off of eBay just for the button wiring. The entire switch has to be the most hard to find part for this bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am at a loss. I rewired the entire bucket but still no headlight. The connection between the blue/white is a not the greatest but even when held in direct contact it still won't work. I will solder on a new connector for the blue/white when I get a chance. Really want to get it solved so I can go for a ride in full confidence :/

·
Registered
971 Posts
What have you measured? Do you know if you're getting voltage on the blue wire when the high beam is on? Do you have voltage on the white wire with the low beam on? What's the resistance measurement between the green ground wire and the negative terminal of the battery?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts