Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, looking for some advice. I am inexperienced in motorcycle maintenance and am having issue with my front brake. I watched videos on YouTube and took apart my front brake so I could replace the cable. I thought that was a good place to start. There was very little braking at full squeeze, basically nothing. The cable is rusted into the braking caliper and its pretty nasty inside. Is the easiest thing to do to get the cable separated, replace it and just clean everything else up or is there a way I can put a new braking system on? Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Water has gotten into your front caliper,probably from the end of the cable where it enters the caliper,around the boot.You can disconnect(another set of hands with needle nose pliers can help you to disconnect the cable)the cable and completely wash-out that mechanism in a strong solvent.Then push out the main brake pad where the mechanism pushes against it out of the body of the caliper,clean it off real good plus the hole where it slides in the caliper body.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Ok, great. Thank you!
That mechanism will need much cleaning(also rinsed in mineral spirits quite a few times) with careful inspection of the thrust bearing and both thrust washers.The 3) ball bearings that ramp-it-up when you pull the lever are important also.
I have rebuilt these mechanisms and can get the required parts.
Send me a PM if you like. Bill

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
That mechanism will need much cleaning(also rinsed in mineral spirits quite a few times) with careful inspection of the thrust bearing and both thrust washers.The 3) ball bearings that ramp-it-up when you pull the lever are important also.
I have rebuilt these mechanisms and can get the required parts.
Send me a PM if you like. Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything cleaned up quite nicely. The worst part was the keeper rusted to the adjustment arm. That was quite a pain and is now just deformed enough to cause a lot of cursing when putting the cable back in. But, its in and I have brakes again! The rollers are good and the bearings are good, for now anyways. I will definitely be keeping an eye on it. Have you ever replaced the keeper? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Everything cleaned up quite nicely. The worst part was the keeper rusted to the adjustment arm. That was quite a pain and is now just deformed enough to cause a lot of cursing when putting the cable back in. But, its in and I have brakes again! The rollers are good and the bearings are good, for now anyways. I will definitely be keeping an eye on it. Have you ever replaced the keeper? Thanks for all the help!
Yes,
That piece see's lot's of rust as water mostly comes into the caliper from around the bottom of the cable:the boot over the cable is supposed to protect that but.. they usually crack,etc. over the years of sitting outside.I'm glad to hear that it's working good !

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I would(replace it,it'll stop better) look up the original Honda part# for that part,the exact piece that holds-down the cable to the arm and pivots inside there.I don't see it available but they do sell parts on ebay,just use the oem part# to identify one on ebay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am cleaning up the front brake on my 75 CB200. One of the bearings is pitted, but when I put the unit into the vice and it turns as it should in the operation. I would feel better replacing the bearings. Do you have the source so I can order them?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I am cleaning up the front brake on my 75 CB200. One of the bearings is pitted, but when I put the unit into the vice and it turns as it should in the operation. I would feel better replacing the bearings. Do you have the source so I can order them?
I'll rebuild your front caliper if you like:I offer that service.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would recommend converting it to a hydraulic setup. I did that on mine for under a $100 and it stops on a mother truckin' dime

I did a brief writeup on it a few months ago in this very forum with parts and such.

·
Registered
3 Posts
under $100! not bad, looks good too! I would like to do that. You fabricated parts, was that hard to do? I don’t have too much of my own tools rn, I look for your writeup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was going to cut the steel parts but I didn't have my shop back up after the move so I had a metal shop cut them for $45. The welding was done by my buddy for free but I'm sure you can find someone to do it as well. You can also opt for bolting the steel plates together instead of welding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts