Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In assembling the lower end of my 360 I'm to the point where I've installed the shift mechanism and main shaft, but as I try to put the countershaft in its as though it wont fit, it seems as if the two shift forks are preventing the shaft to seat completely. I'm fairly certain that I have it in neutral as the points are in place. All gears mesh fine I just can't seem to get the countershaft all the way in.

Am I missing something? Ive tried rotating the shifting mechanism slightly while installing countershaft doesnt seem to make up enough room.

Any thoughts would be helpful guys, and as always thanks for all the great advice.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Is the blind end cap spun so the guide pin seats in the/its hole?..........

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainshaft end cap is seated with pin in hole yes, but countershaft doesnt want to come down far enough to seat the same way.

Do you think this has to do with the shift fork arms? Also how far off from neutral can this installation be done ? And neutral is with both points touching correct?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
WHAT points touching?... There are NO points in neutral???? ...It's the shallowest "notch" on the shift drum "star"... The detent wheel should be sitting in it....
Did you have the shifter forks off the drum?... easy to put them on backwards or up-side down.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Between 3'rd and 4'th counter gears is a thrust washer and a "lock" washer.

This "lock" washer has to be rotated slightly to engage the splines on the countershaft.
Check to see it's ok........

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I have the countershaft assembled properly as mentioned the lock washer is in place, I'm not sure how it could even go on if not rotated to fit into splines. I've studied photos and the manual carefully and believe I have the shift forks installed in the proper orientation. I'm still perplexed, I can get the mainshaft seated fine, I can get the countershaft seated fine but never both of them together. I'm including photos so maybe an eagle eye out there will see my mistake or have some suggestions.

I appreciate the help guys its probably a stupid mistake somewhere down the line but I can't seem to figure it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts