Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I just bought a 74' CL360. I was told it sat for a while before the previous owner tried to get it running. There's hesitation about 2000 - 3000 RPM, then it's off & running. It idles fine. I can avoid it by revving above that before letting out the clutch, but that's just annoying. I've cleaned the tank, petcock & replaced the fuel lines. Just had a shop clean the carbs, set the timing, check the valves etc., they couldn't get past the issue either. It has good compression on both cylinders. Got to be something simple right?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Sounds LIKE Gummy sludge in the Carb float bowls and you got lucky that it cleared itself out.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Gota do your own carbs to know they done right. Its much easier than it seems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem in spades all summer on my CB360. The tune just seemed off no matter what, and the hesitation was downright dangerous coming away from a stop. The throttle shaft plugs were missing and letting air in around the ends of the throttle shaft. It took a lot of head scratching to figure out that they were even a thing, as the SU carbs on my car don't have them. Not saying that it is that specifically, but a vacuum leak like that can be seemingly erratic. Double check your carb diaphragms too. I had an aftermarket one tear after not even 5 hours of riding, and that was also causing issues that sound similar, like the bike coughing and finally going like stink for a while, then becoming almost unrideable at low speeds. I think a burr on the slide tore the rubber, so if you do find an issue dress any burrs ever so carefully with a fine file.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.