Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need to find a petcock for my '74 cl200. I'm curious what other bikes and years interchange.

Also, if there's anything I need to look out for (like if the cl model has a specific one...)

I'm not worried about keeping it original...just functional.

All ideas appreciated!

Thanks,
Clem

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually...

I only needed the lever and gasket and spring (someone had removed them and put a flat piece of rubber there, defeating the purpose and function of the petcock) and I just found those online for not too much...

Hopefully that'll have me in business.

Thanks!
Clem

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Just by a quick look at the CL200 parts diagram & parts list on BikeBandit.com, it looks like that petcock is the screw-on kind, rather than the bolt-up kind like on my CB200.

Should interchange with the CL175, and probably many others.

Search around that bikebandit site and find bikes with the same part number. Then, you'll know.

There are some websites where you can type in a particular Honda part number, and it'll show ALL the bikes that use that part. Unfortunately, I've lost the link... Maybe someone'll be able to help.

Kirk

*edit* Here's another source - shows he's got the lever, the rubber gasket and the spring all available, and all less than $5.

http://www.discounthondaparts.com/fiche ... &mfg=Honda

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
kirkn said:
There are some websites where you can type in a particular Honda part number, and it'll show ALL the bikes that use that part. Unfortunately, I've lost the link... Maybe someone'll be able to help.
http://www.discounthondaparts.com/fiche ... &mfg=Honda
This place has a "reverse" parts search that dows what you mentioned.
In the fiches, they actually indicate whether the part is NLA or not, and they use Honda part #'z....

And yes, the CL200 petcock was different than the CB200 version, which used a phillips screw into the tank style.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the advice, all.

I've run into a problem, however. I ordered parts, but the petcock lever, gasket, and spring I received are all too small. The site listed above lists the same number for the petcock lever that I received from BikeBandit.

The lever in the body:

Obviously, it's too small. (it's supposed to fit to the larger "major" diameter, not down inside the step where you see it here).

The diameter of the lever is about 18.5mm:

The valve body portion that it is supposed to register in is more like 22mm:

It seems I need a lever with a diameter of about 21.5mm (basically, just under 22). Maybe my petcock has been changed at some point...??? Does anybody have any knowledge about petcocks and their sizes? Right now I don't know that I have the correct petcock for the bike. It might be original...it seems reasonable. However, it could just as easily have been replaced with another one at some point. I'd be fine using this one, if I just knew what it came off of so I could replace the parts that I need (lever, gasket, spring).

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Clem

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the lever you see above next to its package. This p/n is the same as the one the discounthondaparts site shows for a '74 CL200:

And FYI, I tried a CB750 petcock lever out before I ordered these parts. The CB750 lever was too large.

Thanks again!
Clem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts