Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just joined this group. Recently bought my first bike, a 1974 CB450 K7. I'm going through it and doing some maintenance, been working on my own cars for awhile but honestly know nothing about motorcycles. Dunno if specific trouble shooting is welcome here but thought I'd give it a shot.

Anyhow I'm having an issue with my choke. The choke plates arnt able to fully open because the bracket connecting the 2 carburetors is getting blocked. The 2 choke plates are linked together by this bracket (1) and as you open the choke the bracket rotates down. But it can't go down enough to open the chokes all the way cause it's hitting a piece of the right carb (2) and getting stuck.

I know it's not supposed to hit there because the clutch plates can only open about 75%. And looking at the choke lever (3), there's an obvious gap (4) showing how far it should turn.

If I bend the bracket in a bit it can slide past but still hits a different part of the carb a bit further down. I need to adjust the way this bracket is sitting on the choke butterflies so I can have the full range of motion on my choke plates. Any tips appreciated thanks.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I'm posting this from my iPhone so if the photos don't work I'll upload them when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
315 Posts
This seems strange. What are the model numbers of the carbs? I just checked my '73 and they look different than your carbs do, at least as far as I can see in the photos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply brokencamchain. I believe the carbs are the 500T's. I looked on the side and the code says "751A". A guy on Facebook told me they were 500T's.

I took the bracket off and the chokes will spin their full range of motion without it. Not sure if the bracket is mis-shaped or perhaps even the wrong bracket. It has rectangular slots that fit onto the rods attached to the choke plates, so it appears to be mounted correctly. I was thinking of going to a local vintage Honda salvage yard near here to look at what other 450s have. There's a place near me with lots of vintage Honda twins for salvage so I'll see if I can find a better bracket.

Photos are of the inside of the left side carb.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got the issue solved. I looked at some brackets on other 450s and realized some were bent different, in a morre circular shape. Re-Bent my bracket (1) and it now as enough clearance from the carbs (2) to fully open and close the chokes. Only took some pliers, fairly easy to bend and re shape.

Posting this in case someone else has this problem, thanks all.

image.jpg image.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts