Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a free 1974 CB360T today. I brought it home, laid everything out and shot a quick video. Plan is to build this into a scrambler.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Subscribed! Should be a fun project. Lots of 360 love (maybe tough love?) on this forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, I got a few bits from Ebay coming my way. Forks and a 21" front wheel from a 1983 Honda XL200R. Looking at rear alloy wheels and might buy a 18" from a 74 Honda XL250.

More pics coming soon...

Heading out on the Ducati to Hendersonville NC for the Meltdown Vintage Bike Show this weekend. Next weekend another HAW video will be in the works! :)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Oh boy, you can't beat a free Honda!

Enjoy the ride and the show, that's like 2 vacations for some of us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got a few parts mocked up. The extra long forks are good for prototyping, may end up with something shorter. Wheels, 21" front, 18" rear. Rear is blocked up to simulate a 150/70 dual sport tire. Frame height under engine cradle is 14" right now, no engine weight. Pretty high...
Might need the triple clamps from the XL200R as well, or similar. Based on the wheel from same bike the forks are set too far apart in the CB360 triple clamps. Got an alloy rear wheel from a 74 XL250 coming my way by week's end, with a tire which will help with the mock up and planning.

I figure I need rear shocks with a 3" - 5" travel to get 5" of wheel travel. Just some quick measuring showed me that. I'll need to fabricate and weld on some new upper shock mounts, forward of the current location. Steer tube is 26 degrees from vertical, trail is 3"

Gentlemen, your thoughts. Vehicle Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle accessory Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nice work. A couple of things to think about. I didn't see the exhaust in the video. If you use the lower CB exhaust, longer shocks will interfere (as in hit) with the muffles. If you lower the swing arm, the mufflers must go lower too. The other thing is the diameter of the shock lower end. There isn't much clearance between the chain (and chain guard) and the lower inside end of the shock. It has been a long time since I have worked n a 360, I bought one new in 1975 and sold it on in '76. I ran into these problems on my '72 450. The 360 may not have the muffler problem.
On the model number. The '74 CB360 was a CB360G and the side cover didn't have the T. The '75 was the CB360T, otherwise the bikes are identical. Don't ask me why...
Consider opening up the valve cover and have a look at the valve train. It might save you some work. A sub 6000 mile engine should be good, but you don't know why they quit riding it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My 360 never had the stock exhausts, so I can't speak to the muffler issue - can confirm that there's not much clearance between the lower shock end and the chain guard, however.

The T was Honda's reference to the front wheel disk brake, though; at some point on the 1975 model it changed from being the CB360G, which had a cable operated front drum, to the CB360T, with the fluid operated front disk. As someone who has fried not one, but two top ends on the 360 (and learned more each time! But bleh.), it's worth it to open up at least the valve cover - it's a twenty minute turnaround to put it back together (just a bit of brake cleaner to scrub off the old Hondabond and reapply when putting the cover back on), and it'll let you inspect the cam lobes and follower surfaces. These engines had a bad habit of toasting the cam, rocker arms, and journal surfaces when run at high RPMs for an extended period. CrazyPJ's right side engine cover mod is also well worth the half hour it takes to do it - I'll see if I can dig up the links and any pictures.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Fun video, ambitious project. You mention possibly swapping in an XL250/350 swingarm in place of the 360. I have both bikes. As best I can tell measuring them on the bikes, it appears the XL is 15mm wider at the pivot point than the CB. The XL is also different in that the piece of tubing the swing arm bolts through (pivots on) is not continuous because of the structural design of the backbone on an XL. Might be easier to work on offsets and spacers than to do a swap.
Also I don’t know that it’s been mentioned but check and see if that 360 motor has the tensioner upgrade. If it does it will have 2 punch marks, one above and one below the dash in the engine serial number. Without the upgrade you may not get as far after the apocalypse happens... Good luck with it, hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fun video, ambitious project. You mention possibly swapping in an XL250/350 swingarm in place of the 360. I have both bikes. As best I can tell measuring them on the bikes, it appears the XL is 15mm wider at the pivot point than the CB. The XL is also different in that the piece of tubing the swing arm bolts through (pivots on) is not continuous because of the structural design of the backbone on an XL. Might be easier to work on offsets and spacers than to do a swap.
Also I don’t know that it’s been mentioned but check and see if that 360 motor has the tensioner upgrade. If it does it will have 2 punch marks, one above and one below the dash in the engine serial number. Without the upgrade you may not get as far after the apocalypse happens... Good luck with it, hope this helps a bit
Thanks for the feed back. I asked an Ebay seller to give the me the dimensions on a XL350 swing arm and found out it was wider so gave up that idea. The engine does indeed have the two punch marks. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts