Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be documenting my build here.

I got this bike a few weeks ago from a guy what wanted more room in his shed. He didnt want it and gave it to me for free.

From what he told me, the bike runs but the timing chain needs replaced. The fuel system needs some attention along with the electrical.

The bike leaks oil so I was thinking on tearing it down to clean it out, put new rings in it, replace the timing chain if needed, and replace all the gaskets.

I think I want to make a Cafe Racer out of it.

This will be my first bike build so it probably wont go very fast. Being unemployed and going to college, money and time are limited but I will work on it when I get time.

Someone took the top of this motor off and put it back together using this orange goop. This is one of the reasons I want to replace the gaskets on it.

The intake tubes must be dry-rotted and someone put some silicone on it, I will be looking for new intake tubes to make it look better.

I want to do something different with the instrument cluster. Dont know yet but I have a few ideas.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Either the bike has been over on the right side or the linkage is all honked up, the pedal shouldn't be against the pipe!

The rocker cover probably has been off, but stock the bike didn't have a gasket in there (they don't even come with the Honda gasket kits), just a little sealant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at that brake pedal too, it wouldn't surprise me that the bike was laid over on the side, there is some road rash on it.

I just figured there was a gasket under the rocker cover, if a little sealant is all that is required then I will probably take this off and try to clean it up a bit. If it came out this much on the outside, imagine what it looks like on the inside.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It's just sealant that's needed.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
CMHN said:
If it came out this much on the outside, imagine what it looks like on the inside.
Thats exactly right Chris, you REALLY dont want a lump of that stuff to come loose and block an oil passage.

I have a used carb boot that I believe to still be serviceable that you can have for the cost of shipping, thats if you dont want to spend the cash on a new one.....

·
Registered
205 Posts
since it's not just a sealing suface but also controls the camshaft clearance between the upper and lower bearings, a gasket would have too much compression variability for an engineer's liking ;)

Just push the brake pedal down and see if the pipe is bent underneath, if it is then you know it was tipped (mine is). If not and it's not rubbing on the engine case then you should be able to adjust it down and be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
leethal said:
CMHN said:
If it came out this much on the outside, imagine what it looks like on the inside.
Thats exactly right Chris, you REALLY dont want a lump of that stuff to come loose and block an oil passage.

I have a used carb boot that I believe to still be serviceable that you can have for the cost of shipping, that's if you don't want to spend the cash on a new one.....
Thanks for the offer about the boot, but I was thinking on getting a couple new ones. Problem is I don't know where to get them at, does anybody have a source for new intake manifolds? I have checked E-bay and didn't even find used ones, and I cant find them on bike bandit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't order from the company yet but here is the link. They have a bunch of items for the older Honda's. They said they were $37.00 each with something like $17 shipping, but if you order 2 they still have the same shipping price. The total for 2 plus the shipping to me would cost $87.00.

http://www.charlies-place.com/store_car ... ators.html

This was one place.

I put 16211-369-000 in a Google search and came up with a whole mess of hits.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Wow what a cool store for OEM honda parts, great rsetoration pics too. That police model 450 must be worth bucket loads :shock:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I didn't see a CB450P on that site...?

Those forged pistons for the 450 look like REALLY nice pieces!!! Decent price too for what you're getting.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do these bikes need the battery to run? I know it has a kick start and electric start but I was wondering if I could clean it up a little and run without a battery.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You need a battery. Just be creative to hide it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I figured as much but I was hoping to do without it. I will find somewhere to stick it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Under the swingarm seemed like great idea. That is what I plan on doing on my next projects.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah, I think that I read something on that too. I also know that you can get a different stator or charging system that can eleminate the batt. But it is cashy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts