Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering if I need to lubercate the gears/cable within my tach? Ever sense I have had the bike the tach has always been "noisy" . The tach functions just fine, but I hear the gears spin within tach, and noise picks up with throttle(Rpm's) increase(gears spinning faster). Do I need to do anything, or is that just normal for my bike? I see where I can unscrew the cable from the bottom, but the tach seems to be a complete unit. Thanks

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I would check the cable. It may need cleaning and lubrication or have a kink in it. You should be able to remove the center, clean it and the outer tube. Use a dry lubricant such as Teflon or graphite. If that doesn't work you may need to open the tach or replace it.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Only way to check the teeth on the tach gear is to pull the valve cover. If you're running a 34 year old cable then it would be a good idea to pull it and lube it :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys, the sound/"noise" is directly coming from the tach it self. Sounds like gears spinning without lube for lack of a better description. I did check the cable for kinks and luber her up well. = No change. I thinking it's the tach it self. Can I crack into that bad boy and drop some lithium grease on the gears? OR is it a sealed unit?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It's sealed but they can be taken apart and lubed. The old grease dries up and sometimes causes problems too. The only problem is that once you get it apart, putting it back together in a way that looks nice is pretty hard to do. There are some posts on here about the procedure. Check Mike Nellis' CB450 build thread..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
leethal said:
Only way to check the teeth on the tach gear is to pull the valve cover. If you're running a 34 year old cable then it would be a good idea to pull it and lube it :D
Do I just pull the cable out of the housing? I don't want to have a the tach gear fall off within the valve cover.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
The tach cable is simply held by a phillips screw. You dont have to worry about the tach gear within the valve cover as its all secured via a circlip.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you're desperate for a tach I have one that i'm not using. I can be bought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts