Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I searched to find an answer in the archives and found that all the posts led me to more questions. Also, I have the Honda shop manual and the Clymer manual. In the Clymer, it suggests using a "hotter" plug if the engine is not serviced. I cannot afford any parts right now, but I can't afford dieing right now a bit more :lol:

I smelled the oil, it seems fine. But, I don't know for sure. I rode for about 1hr, and the bike had some gray smoke when I was stopped at a traffic light. The left plug was kind of fouled, but not too bad, and not really wet...more on the sooty side. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, the right exhaust pipe is kinda getting golden, the left is perfect chrome, I guess that is due to not working properly?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If the pipe is "yellowing" then that suggests that side is running lean. Or the valves on that side are out of adjustment/worn. Could be a timing issue as well. A complete carb teardown/cleaning may be in order as well..

Have you performed a compression check yet? If not then that's probably the first thing that should be on your to do list.

You didn't mention where the grey smoke was coming from..?

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I first got the bike I did a carb bath/rebuild so I know the carbs are fine.I checked the spark plug on the "golden side"(right) and it looks perfect. The golden color was like that when I got it. I was just trying to give as much info as possible to help figure out the problem with the left side, but I guess it wasn't needed... The gray smoke is coming from the left exhaust. Still haven't got a compression gauge. I hoping I can use the one at my local shop.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The smoke may just be unburnt fuel. I had that problem at one time when one cylinder was running intermittently. It was blowing greyish smoke too..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
You NEED to get compression readings........

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right compression test, I'll get it done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts