Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. This project has been a long time coming. I had to finish up my CB500-4 before I could start this one.

I bought this bike for $350 with clean title, it ran and drove just fine, minus the fact only one cylinder was working. One used coil later it was up to full speed. I was planning on flipping the bike but I'm having too much fun building it and it will be more fun to ride it. I also put a 21" front wheel on it, just because.

PICTURES!

We are raking the neck but we went a little TOO far as you can see.

[attachment=3:immmg6vj]choop1.jpg[/attachment:immmg6vj]

Buddy welding the plates.

[attachment=2:immmg6vj]chop.jpg[/attachment:immmg6vj]

Me grinding down the welds.

[attachment=1:immmg6vj]chop2.jpg[/attachment:immmg6vj]

A mock up of what its going to look like.
[attachment=0:immmg6vj]chop1.jpg[/attachment:immmg6vj]

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Safety comes first!...So some questions arise.....

No frame jig is shown being used.... (Is the neck still plumb and true? How did you prevent "pull" as it cooled? and/or Did you stress relieve the welded joint?),
No welding mask (or other protection) is shown, ( How were you sure you got full penetration and bond?)
Inadequate eye protection while grinding ... (and, structurally sound welds should not have required grinding)

Were the pics a "set-up"? ....Have we been "punked"?.....

If not, allow me to assure you flash-burn and/or metal fragments in the eyes are both painful and expensive.... Don't ask how I know......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Digger said:
Safety comes first!...So some questions arise.....

No frame jig is shown being used.... (Is the neck still plumb and true? How did you prevent "pull" as it cooled? and/or Did you stress relieve the welded joint?),
No welding mask (or other protection) is shown, ( How were you sure you got full penetration and bond?)
Inadequate eye protection while grinding ... (and, structurally sound welds should not have required grinding)

Were the pics a "set-up"? ....Have we been "punked"?.....

If not, allow me to assure you flash-burn and/or metal fragments in the eyes are both painful and expensive.... Don't ask how I know......
OSHA inspector?

Not set up and not being punked. As for no welding mask he was just tacking. He used one when he was actually welding the beads. It took a lot of mesuring and checking and rechecking but we were careful and made sure things were straight. We took al the precautions we could to make sure that it was a good weld.

Danadeny said:
whats the new neck angle (rake?) in degrees?
Don't know for sure, just kinda pulled, then it kinda fell (first picture) and then we picked it up and got it to an angle we liked then made plates and welded them into place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts