Honda Twins banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

Found this forum after trying to figure out how to fix the intake. I will have both air boxes soon but one of the filters looks like you used it to wipe something.

I plan to restore it to near original but not break the bank. No cafe here.

So far:

New battery so I don't have to grow a massive right calf muscle
Carbs got cleaned ( sat for 10+ years )
Ignition Points got cleaned and advance was set ( weights were stuck and I couldn't rev past 4k)

Took it down the road at over 40mph. It won't idle very well but then again the air boxes aren't fitted and it's stock jets. It's got some Harley exhausts so I'm thinking they're more open and might need a jet bigger.

The points also spark when in transition or are open so I think the condenser might be bad?

Next up. Double checking valve clearance and an oil change.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
You will always get some random sparking from the points. If its constant, you may have a problem.
keep the old original brass in the carbs if possible, just replace the rubber bits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and the mechanical disc brake may be a problem as parts are unobtainium.
Funny you should mention it. The brakes are stuck closed at the moment. Going to take them apart and try to recondition the slides best I can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got busy this last week helping a friend with her 82 GN250.

Ordered a new front brake set. Plan to get the valves tuned up and see where it runs from there.

I found the stock air boxes but since these are mechanical I'd like to find some pods that fit and just re jet the carbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cause I just stumbled on this thread, and I'm in the beginning stages of getting a 74 cb450 back up and going, and it seems like I'm having a problem with the battery. I'm not getting anything while trying to jump it...(I don't have a battery yet)... But jumping it directly to the starter, the bike wants to crank over. I'm just trying to figure out my options here before I get a new battery. So I was curious if the bike needs the battery to the kickstart. Any info will help. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried the same my self. Jumping didn't work. Does your Kickstart work? I had to learn that the clutch needs to be out to engage

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kickstarter should work and is free..engine has compression, I'm currently cleaning the carbs addressing the gas tank. When the bike was parked many many years ago and everything was drained... it's not in too bad of shape.. so Kickstart and neutral should bypass the battery, and then it should run off the generator?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine did. But I left the dead battery in to complete the circuit. But I don't think the regulator / rectifier likes being hooked to a bad battery since it'll work over time and can fry it.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It won't run without a battery, and jumping on the kickstarter is going to lead to some expensive repairs later. Just buy a battery.

Reactions: circling the drain

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is a battery necessary to start the bike?
No. But why are you asking here?
FYI, on all Honda twins before the SOHC 400 and 450 series with CDI, they ALL need the battery to run. Even if they'll fire once in a while or maybe even run a little on the alternator alone, they will never run on both cylinders properly without a battery since the charging system doesn't break even until over 2500 to 3000 rpm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've already replaced my battery. I also bought a regulator rectifier combo unit. Might get to that sometime this week

·
Registered
7 Posts
In looking at this set up closer, is it normal to have 2 positive leads...the negative is certainly grounded to the frame, thanks in advance
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
The heavy lead is to supply the starter solenoid, and the other lead feeds the main fuse. The lighter gauge wire was probably originally attached to the solenoid end of that cable, leaving just one wire for the battery connection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts