Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i got this CL350 and its having some issues.

It will idle.. but when you go to rev it up.. it resists until you get past a certain point then it like runs away.

What might be causing this?
i'm thinking ill swap in the new electronic ignition and see if it helps before i tare into the carbs

Thoughts?

Thank for your help

·
Registered
866 Posts
I would pull appart the electrical connections between the points/condensor and coils. Clean them up if corrosion and make sure they are tight.
Check for leaks at the exhaust, carb air box connections.
Then do the cam chain adjust, valves and points timing.
Then clean out carbs and air box.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Helps to know what work has been done so far.
A full tune up and carb balance, along with new plugs and caps is what I do to new bikes.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
My initial guess is that the mid-range jet circuit in the carbs is clogged.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^^but it would help to know exactly how it is fitted first - stock air filters or aftermarket? the intake resistance created by the stock air filters (and lost if you replace them with pods or other aftermarket filters) makes a major difference if everything else is still stock

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^^but it would help to know exactly how it is fitted first - stock air filters or aftermarket? the intake resistance created by the stock air filters (and lost if you replace them with pods or other aftermarket filters) makes a major difference if everything else is still stock
Previous owner said he did the valves.
stock air filters
Plugs are new

going to try an work on it this weekend, i will update with my findings.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Previous owner said he did the valves.
So unless you know the PO personally and know his valve adjustment skills, then a cam chain adjustment, valve adjustment and points/timing check are in order - but if all that is good, it does sound like gummed up carbs or a bad diaphragm on one or both of the slides

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so i got the new charlies place ignition in the bike, and i did the timing. the advancer looks to be working .
So i'm thinking this is either carbs or valves now.

Does anyone have a good walk through for proper valve adjustment ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts