Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my '73 CL175, and found the left front turn signal full of water. I dried it out, cleaned it up, and put in a new bulb (1073) that matched the other signal lamp.

Both signals are flashing at the same time in the front. Rear turn signals work perfectly.

How do I fix this???

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I recently purchased my '73 CL175, and found the left front turn signal full of water. I dried it out, cleaned it up, and put in a new bulb (1073) that matched the other signal lamp.

Both signals are flashing at the same time in the front. Rear turn signals work perfectly.

How do I fix this???
What color wires are they connected to in the headlight bucket?

·
Sensei
27,096 Posts
I'm guessing he has an electronic (rather than an electro/mechanical) flasher module, and the panel indicator is making the cross-connection up front

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
The good news is the left front turn light is working. Now it just needs to be wired correctly. On my '72 450 the right turn signal wire is Lt. Blue and the left is orange. Black is power when the ignition switch is on. This is standard across early '70s Hondas. I think the '73 175 is the same.

The black wire from turn signal light should connect to the orange wire in the head light. This orange wire runs to the turn signal switch and the tail light.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a green split, but the green wires are ground.

·
Sensei
27,096 Posts
Yes Jim...That is exactly his problem...IF he plugs that Black wire into Orange (along with the orange wire from the panel light), and the light blue right side wires both into light blue, it should work.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just checked the wiring behind the headlight hub.

They are plugged into the correct colors. Lt Blue on the Right, Orange on the left. Both are still flashing despite which direction I choose on the switch.

After reading a few more posts about similar problems on here I am thinking tomorrow I am going to try cleaning up the ground on the left turn signal, and the connection between the bulb and the socket to see if it draws more power and starts working correctly. The water had been sitting in there for a good while without the last rider knowing.

If this still doesn't work, should I plan on just replacing the bulb socket? Could it be the relay?

Sorry so many questions... electrical work is not my forte.

·
Sensei
27,096 Posts
Let me verify......Both fronts come on and flash regardless of switch position (left or right), BUT only the (switch directionality) correct rear signal flashes?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
This sounds odd, the front and rear lights should flash together.

The flasher relay has a black and gray wire connected to it. It is powered by the black wire and the gray wire carries the power to the turn switch. When the relay is properly loaded, the power in the gray wire will go on and off. You can trace this through the diagram I posted.

When the switch is placed either in the right of left turn position, either the orange or light blue wire is energized. Again you can trace this through the diagram.

The only connection between the two is through the turn signal indicator lamp. Inside the headlight, make sure the pink connects to the orange and the light blue connects to the light blue.

It is not shown on the diagram, but to energize the indicator lamp, with the switch is turned to the right, the orange wire is energized and light blue must be grounded. This must happen inside of the switch housing. If that ground is bad, the left and right lights can connect and get power through the indicator lamp. This could be verified by disconnecting the pink or light blue wires to the indicator lamp.

·
Sensei
27,096 Posts
Actually Jim, the indicator grounds through the un-energized side's signal bulb filaments to their grounds...
There is no ground connection made within the left/right switch....
I'm guessing its draw is just so low it does not carry enough current to light that side......

IF he disconnects the panel indicator, his turn signals MAY work correctly....
I'm suspecting the problem is the 1073 bulbs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I will put in the 1156 bulbs I have instead and see if that works.

I am guessing it is a power thing too. The rears flash correctly, but both fronts flash at the same time - left and right both flash in the front in synch with the correct right or left in the back. Does that clear things up?

All the wires are plugged in correctly... I think it is the lower bulbs mixed with the corrosion causing all this mischief. I WILL fix it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've only speed read the posts but having just got Sow's Ear sorted I had the same problem which turned out to be simply the grounding on the headlamp shell which earths the indicators.

Check the ring terminal that should be on the headlamp mounting bolt and be connected into the Green vehicle earth circuit.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I have triple checked all the wires, replaced the bulbs to the correct ones, cleaned all connections and ground... and they still both flash at the same time in the front. I don't get it. I think I may need to wait til I can get her into a shop to get this one figured out.

To clarify: I switch the switch the the R and both front blinkers blink, right rear blinker blinks. Switch the switch to the L and both front blinkers blink, left rear blinker blinks.

On the plus side I found the little hidden steering lock!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not, the headlight does not have a ground... this may be the source of all my issues. Need to go get a splicer to add the ground.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just to clarify there's a green cable multi way connector in the headlight bowl and it has (had) a connection to the m10 headlight bolts by a ring terminal. There is still the possibility that the indicator stalks are not grounded to the headlight ears, I used 'star' washers underneath a standard washer (rather than the nut) to ensure that the stalk bolts bite into the ear.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Actually Jim, the indicator grounds through the un-energized side's signal bulb filaments to their grounds...
There is no ground connection made within the left/right switch....
I'm guessing its draw is just so low it does not carry enough current to light that side......

IF he disconnects the panel indicator, his turn signals MAY work correctly....
I'm suspecting the problem is the 1073 bulbs
That makes sense, I bet the rears are flashing too, just to dimly to be seen. The panel indicator is the only connection between the left and right signal lights. Other than that and the grounds the only other thing could be a defective L - R switch, but I think that is unlikely.

If he disconnects the indicator light and it works, then what?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to clarify there's a green cable multi way connector in the headlight bowl and it has (had) a connection to the m10 headlight bolts by a ring terminal. There is still the possibility that the indicator stalks are not grounded to the headlight ears, I used 'star' washers underneath a standard washer (rather than the nut) to ensure that the stalk bolts bite into the ear.
The ears are grounded, the headlight ring is missing the ground on the green wire. It took me 2 headlights to find one to replace the one that was in there (low beam was burnt out). I just need to fix this to try it. Don't have the tools on me right now, hoping someone at work has one I can borrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
That makes sense, I bet the rears are flashing too, just to dimly to be seen. The panel indicator is the only connection between the left and right signal lights. Other than that and the grounds the only other thing could be a defective L - R switch, but I think that is unlikely.

If he disconnects the indicator light and it works, then what?
The rear blinkers work great.... no problem with them, just the front ones both flashing instead of right and left separately. I will try grounding the headlight and report back.

The switch is loose, but works fine, as it is still telling the back blinkers what to do correctly it has to be a connection between the two front ones. It makes sense that the blinkers could have been working fine until I replaced the headlight. So the missing green ground in the headlight is my next point of interest to go with. I have to save this for another day, as I need a tool to splice the wires. When I showed the headlight to a shop guy, he told me the ground looked hand spliced... now I think I know why.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dude just take any piece if wire with bare ends and hook it up to the battery negative and manually hold it on the chrome indicator stalk - that will answer your question without the need to involve others ��

1 - 20 of 21 Posts