Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
just getting a '73 CB450 that has not run since '89 back on the road, got it all ready to go last night, and managed to get it to run on the right cyl. only, checked, and no spark on the left. I've not even messed with the points or timing or anything, but visually looked and the plug wire seems fine, and the plugs are new. I was hoping to just swap on some coils I had lying around from a '68 cl450, but the wires are different colors, how would you recommend proceeding?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
zoo mob said:
Hi,
just getting a '73 CB450 that has not run since '89 back on the road, got it all ready to go last night, and managed to get it to run on the right cyl. only, checked, and no spark on the left. I've not even messed with the points or timing or anything, but visually looked and the plug wire seems fine, and the plugs are new. I was hoping to just swap on some coils I had lying around from a '68 cl450, but the wires are different colors, how would you recommend proceeding?
Thanks
I think they should work ok - though the only difference in wire colors I can recall is black/white is used on the later coils (kill switch), instead of black.
At any rate, the connectors will tell you how to hook them up.
Just decide which side you'll call left or right, then carry that through..........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming there is no risk of frying anything if I do it wrong correct?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Just clean the points and it will run

·
Registered
363 Posts
in my experience, points are much less tolerant of sitting than coils, at the very least hook a test light to the points and make sure both are opening and closing with good contact. on a side note if the bike was put away with the ignition on (in disgust after failure to start) if one set of points was closed the corresponding coil could have over heated and failed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts