Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this should be an easy one for the experts...

I would like to add clip ons to my bike and i really do not like the original chrome cover on the upper legs of the fork. I know the forks are 33mm as well. Can i just take off the chrome cover and boots, then get after market headlight clamps and signals or will i need to find a set of forks from a bike with the same fork size?

this is what i have:

this is what i want (but with clip ons):

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
The clip-ons will fit where the fork ears were, but it's likely to be rusty under there....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you thinking surface rust or full replacement kinda rust?

if anyone has experience with cracking open the covers, please let me know what kind of rust damage you found underneath.

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
"Cracking open"? ...You simply slide the fork down and out and the covers come/can be taken off... It is easier if you remove the wheel and fender, etc...
Here's a pic of some 175 forks (same factory covers arrangement) after removal of the ears.....and some sanding to remove the heavy rust...The forks still work fine, just notice the deep pittings....
It IS possible your forks will be better/nicer, but the only way to tell is get them uncovered...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Don't forget, you'll also lose your factory rubber boots along with the fork ears.. There are manufacturers that make a style that is small enough on one end so that they grab the bare fork tube itself, and the other end fits the forks lower leg like stock ones do..

You may be able to switch to fork "wipers" instead, although I'm not familiar with any that are used on 33mm fork tubes..

Rust underneath the ears is VERY common!

You may end up having to switch to different length cables, and hoses as well, if any kinking problems present themselves after switching to clip-ons..

EDIT: You might want to look into adjustable clipons. They're much nicer when it comes to sore wrists. Tarozzi, Tommaselli, etc.. They all make very nice, although expensive, clipons.. Some are the raised variety as well to put them more into the stock bar height... Honda even made a few nice designs over the years on various bikes..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I'm about to travel down the same road as you danfr. I'll be putting clipons on my '72 K4. I haven't removed the ears yet to see how bad the rust is on mine. When I took them off my '80 400t there was only a few very small spots, so I'm hoping for the same on the 350.

Post a pick of the forks when you get them off. I won't be removing mine for a while yet.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Here's what I found when I pulled the forks off my 350G.

[attachment=0:3kf837ze]forks2.jpg[/attachment:3kf837ze]

On my 81 CM400 however there was hardly a speck of rust.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
FYI.... CB/CL/CJ360 and CB/CM 400 dust 'wiper' boots will fit the tubes (also Yamaha XS 400 "wiper/boots")... Some 350 sliders will require removal of the chrome extension (early CB) and a band clamp to secure the wiper, on some/most they just "snap' into the existing groove......

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hondatwin gurus, will these work? I'm not too sure because of the sizing but it does say: "New Fit Honda CB350 CL350 Fork Tubes CB-CL350 K-F&G 1974-75"

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Fit-Honda-CB350- ... 698wt_1167

no reply back from selling in regards to shipping to canada. may need to ship to one of you guys and then ship to me.....?? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Danfr.... I believe those are "extended' fork tubes at 31"...... To check, measure your forks axle to top and subtract 4 &1/2" to 5" from that measurement (for travel)... If yours are about 36 total (axle to top) these would work... But, I believe most stock are about 29 to 31 inches assembled..........

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i checked out my upper forks and they are fully rusted out. I was hoping to go for a cleaner looking, but i think i will just go with some clubman bars.

has anyone made a bracket for the top fork tree to hold have just a speedo and removing the tach and indicators?

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Yes, I have made several "one meter" brackets over the years...... Just pay attention to the route the cable will now follow as you can causing binding with improper clearances/routings.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts