Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converted 4 incandescent turn signal bulbs and 3 indicator lights from incandescent to L.E.D. and installed L.E.D. flasher.

Also installed Charlie's Place Electronic Ignition, Dynacoils and Regulator/Rectifier.

When bike is off, all L.E.D. turn signals function properly.

When bike is on, turn signals and turn signal indicator light operate at faster, more inconsistent rate - and, with right signal engaged, small amount of power is going to left signal, illuminating it ever so slightly - and vice versa when left signal is engaged.

Any solutions or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all,

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Common Motor collective have a video on their website where they show how to install the LED bulbs but I couldn't really understand the video ( I've got A.D.D. and am very simple minded ) . If you have already done so , try replacing your indicator relay with a LED specific one and see if that works .

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Jim, Have you done some voltage checks with the bike running and shut off? I would try checking the voltage at the battery. This will tell us if there is a change with the voltage. Also, does the flash rate change with the engine speed?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Common Motor collective have a video on their website where they show how to install the LED bulbs but I couldn't really understand the video ( I've got A.D.D. and am very simple minded ) . If you have already done so , try replacing your indicator relay with a LED specific one and see if that works .
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim, Have you done some voltage checks with the bike running and shut off? I would try checking the voltage at the battery. This will tell us if there is a change with the voltage. Also, does the flash rate change with the engine speed?
Battery voltage at shut off is 12.8 volts.

Intermittent flashing rate does not change as I accelerate or decelerate the bike.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The reason the "other side" directionals are lighting up a little is because you have one dashboard indicator light for turn signals on, and some voltage is making it's way over to the "other side" when you've got left or right signals on.
A quick way to test this idea is to remove the bulb from your dashboard turn signal indicator and give it a try.

A permanent fix is to add a pair of diodes to the wiring to that dashboard indicator bulb to prevent or block any voltage from getting over there. There are schematics to be found on the web and you can diy if you're savvy, but a few companies offer a prewired solution that works well and won't break the bank.

LED Diode Kit - Sparck Moto

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts