Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I have a couple questions regarding the clutch assembly in my 73 CB350G. I had to replace the shifter shaft that goes through the bike because the splines were buggered up and the PO welded the shift lever on, and it needed fixing.

I was lucky enough to find an NOS part to replace it with. So off came the right side cover, oil slinger assembly, primary gear (more on that later) oil pump and clutch. Removed the old seal on the other side behind the front sprocket, pulled the old shifter shaft / pawl arm part out, put a new seal in, and the new part went in just fine.

Reassembled everything on the clutch side taking the opportunity to install a Barnett clutch pack, and then noticed what seemed like maybe too much in/out play in the clutch basket assembly...

Is this normal? Should there be some play, or none at all? Seems like about 2-3mm of play. Almost feels like there should be a washer or spacer behind it, but looking at the parts diagrams, there is no washer or spacer shown between the clutch basket/oil pump arm + cam washer and the case...

Which leads me to the second issue: my clutch basket has only one thick gear ring on it, not the split gears shown in the drawings. Primary gear is one thick one instead of two thin ones, looks like maybe an SL clutch and primary gear was put in there? Or could it be that since it's a late model CB350, the factory put in a CB360 clutch and primary gear? Is that possible? (Not ruling out someone butchering the bike in the last 45 years either.)

What are your thoughts on all this? I have a correct backup basket and thin primary gears. I've ridden the bike like this before taking it apart, it did shift just fine. I didn't check for play before taking it apart unfortunately. I'll try to post some video tomorrow, that would probably be helpful. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
893 Posts
The single gear is correct for your engine.

I measured the basket movement on two engines, one single gear one twin gear and both had the same amount of play .... 0.30 mm. If you have two to three mm then something is wrong. btw the movement feels like more than 0.30

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for the reply. I'm relieved to hear that the clutch and primary gear in my engine are correct. Do you know if there's an accurate parts diagram/catalog for the 73 cb350g that might help prevent this kind of confusion in the future?

As far as the play in the basket, I admit that I actually didn't measure it but it "feels" like ~2mm of movement. I'll try to get an actual accurate measurement, hopefully it's a lot less than that.

If it is that much though, what do you suspect might be the reason? Wondering if it could be the Barnett clutch plates... Hopefully not something to do with the transmission main shaft. There was no play in the shaft itself though.

When I removed the oil pump, I found what appeared to be fragments of a large O ring on top of the mesh screen. It was only a small piece, but my guesstimate is that was originally about three inches in diameter. Kind of scary... The engine was rebuilt a while back for something unrelated (bent valve, jugs needed to be bored and new pistons installed, new guides in the head) so I'm hoping it's just leftover shrapnel from that, the oil was looking pretty good otherwise in terms of metal shavings.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm not even sure if the original micro fiche for the 73 G showed the single gear as it may have been a rolling change as the factory tooled up for the 360.

Clutch basket is independent of the clutch discs for the purpose of this discussion about the basket movement you feel.

A piece of o ring on top of the screen, do you mean after you took the screen off you found the o ring? if so that is strange, I have never found anything but sludge and minor debris above the screen. I have found chunks of gasket in other passages but that comes down to poor workmanship. You will probably never know where it came from. Check the rest of the passages in the cases and the cover plus the slinger and go from there.

If you mean the o ring was on the outside of the screen then that is not unusual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The piece of o ring (pretty sure it was o ring and not gasket because it wasn't flat, but it had a smooshed oval cross section..) was on the outside of the screen, not inside the screen and oil pump intake area. There were other little bits of black rubbery plasticy stuff caught in the screen itself.

I'll try to get some more and better info on the clutch basket wiggle this weekend. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts