Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I rode my CB350 yesterday only to notice at a stop that I had a huge oil leak coming from the left crankcase cover. I shut the bike down and had it towed home. I think the leak is coming from they part that covers the front sprocket.

I will break the bike down tomorrow to see what the problem was, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue. I hope the problem is not major and just a simple seal that went bad. I hate to have this bike down for while because it's my favorite one to ride.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you run a tight (too tight) chain you can ruin the counter shaft seal really quick. Did you tighten your chain before your ride?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jonzilla said:
If you run a tight (too tight) chain you can ruin the counter shaft seal really quick. Did you tighten your chain before your ride?
Nope, no maintenance done prior to riding. Chain has been the same for the last year.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting. Same thing just happened to me. For a day or two it was just a few drips then on my last ride I stopped about 7 miles from the house to find myself sitting in a puddle of oil with oil everywhere. Coming from the front sprocket region. Probably the countershaft seal but I have no time right now and took it to my mechanic. Will let you guys know next week when I get back.
Anyone want to describe the job of replacing one? Didn't see it in the service manual when I leafed through quickly.

Edy...my chain is lubed real good now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's the seal you describe it is an easy fix. BUT.....I have stripped the heads of the screws and now have to wait to get the cover off before I can check the seal. I already bought the new screws at my local Honda bike shop, but I'll have to get back to the bike tomorrow.

Keep me posted on your oil issue too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 3 main points of oil leaks on the left side are the sprocket shaft seal, clutch pushrod seal, and the left engine cover gasket (including magneto cover gasket).

I recently replaced the sprocket and clutch pushrod seal. It's fairly simple to do without splitting cases.

For clutch pushrod, remove sprocket cover / clutch accuator. Pull pushrod all the way out and then carefully lever out the old seal. Use a socket the same size of the new seal, I applied some gasket maker to the sealing face of the seal just to ensure proper sealing. use the socket to carefully and evenly push the seal into place. Same essentially goes for the sprocket seal. but you will need a deep socket which is fairly large in diameter to go over the counter shaft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gs1327 said:
Also check the clutch pushrod seal which is also under that cover.
It was the clutch pushrod seal, now to order it. I hope it doesn't take too long to come in, need my ride ready for Rockers vs Mods rally in Houston! Thanks for the help guys, this site rocks!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Parts obtained today, to be installed tomorrow ;) If I remember to do it, I will attach some pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I have a '70 CL350 with a smaller Oil Leak around the clutch push rod as well. It's enough to drip some oil every time I park after riding, but doesn't leak if the engine is not been running. I noted that the push rod itself is worn and has a grove around it, I assume from spinning against the seal. I was going to try just replacing the push rod itself.

I wondered if your push rod was similarly worn, and replacing the seal fixed it, or if I should try replacing the rod first, before the seal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tree said:
I wondered if your push rod was similarly worn, and replacing the seal fixed it, or if I should try replacing the rod first, before the seal.
I would replace the seal before it gets worse and leaves you stranded like mine did. As for the groove on the push rod, mine appears to have a groove in it, as though it came from the factory like that. My pushrod doesn't appear to have any wear on it at all. I hope this helps.

Maybe someone else can guide us on this. I have ridden my CB350 since I replaced the seal and it runs great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine was also the clutch pushrod seal. I replaced it and the pushrod.

My clutch pushrod also had the worn groove in it, so I bought a NOS one. Before I installed it, I put some oil on some 0000 steel wool and polished the new rod by hand. It was a little rough along its length, just a little bit of corrosion from 40 years of sitting on a parts shelf.

It's much better now!

71hondacbtwin

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
While you're in there, there is also a seal on the shift lever shaft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts