Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my points and condenser with a Charlie's Place electronic ignition setup.

Now, at idle, there seems to be a squeaking sound coming from underneath the point housing? The valve covers?

Didn't sound like this before with the original point/condenser setup.

Below is a link to a 13 second video I posted on Youtube to provide audio of what I'm hearing. The sound is really pronounced at the end of the video when I hit the kill switch.

Has anyone run across a similar situation - and/or - is this normal?

Want to be sure before I road test the bike.

As always - many thanks for everyone's time, attention and experience.

Jim

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
sounds like metal rubbing against metal. Run it without the cover on and see Maybe you'll spot something.
And no this is not normal.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like metal rubbing against metal. Run it without the cover on and see Maybe you'll spot something.
And no this is not normal.
Removed the cover and sound continues - so it's not anything rubbing up against it.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Take a long screw driver and place the end on the area and place the handle on your ear and listen, this will help pinpoint where the noise is originating from.

This is sorta like the poor man's stethoscope if you will.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Take a long screw driver and place the end on the area and place the handle on your ear and listen, this will help pinpoint where the noise is originating from.

This is sorta like the poor man's stethoscope if you will.
Even better if you have something wood like an old hammer handle. Did this all the time to work on v8 chevys

did you lube all the components before reassembly? Maybe the collar that comes with the ignition needs some grease on it. I put bearing grease on mine when I put it together

1 - 8 of 8 Posts