Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding home from work today in LA, probably about 85 degrees out, stuck in traffic. I start to notice smoke in one of my rear view mirrors, and I can feel that the bike is really hot. The smoke wasn't coming from the exhaust but I can't tell exactly where it's coming from. I get out of traffic and manage to actually ride the bike for a few blocks, don't notice the smoke when I'm stopped again but the sun was setting at my back and it was hard to tell.

So the question is...should I be worried or is it just from not moving enough to air cool the bike on a hot day?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Morgan

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
First, check for fuel in the oil... then find any oil leaks...You HAVE to have something burning to get smoke....could be as simple as an oil seal or the breather leaking a few drops onto the pipes... You won't know if it's a continuing problem until you find the source....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Riding my CB500/4 through the Cades Cove loop in Smokey Mountains National Park this summer, I experienced this as well. The traffic on that loop road at dawn is bumper to bumper, moving very very slowly, and it was hot out. My bike was loaded up well and after a while, it was really hot. I began to notice smoke coming up around the engine. It kind of freaked me out so I stopped and let it cool for 20 minutes, and when I took off again it seemed okay.
So I think your bike might have just got too hot. I don't know if it did any damage or not. I can tell you that my bike had a head gasket leak after this trip, but it was a 10K mile trip so I really don't know when that started.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.....what's the best way to check for fuel in the oil? And any advice on finding oil leaks? I looked at the bike when I got home after it was smoking and didn't see any obvious places that might have gotten oil on them and burned.

cheers,
morgan

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Pull the dipstick and smell it.... feel for "thinned oil"..... Or just go ahead and change the oil....

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Was it coming from the head breather pipes? I dont have a 350 but the 450's can also do this when they get hot and stuck in a queue. Water cooling pretty much stopped this, but air cooling relys on having the air going by at a reasonable rate, even 30mph can greatly improve the cooling efficiency.
And of course its worth noting that you have much warmer weather in California the we experience for most of the year in the UK, so the ambient heat of the air would also reduce the thermal differential.
You might find that it was a one off, but its still worth checking out other possibilities "just in case"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't really tell where it was coming from.

Yesterday the weather broke all kinds of heat records here in LA...so I'll change the oil this weekend and see if it smokes before and after. Otherwise I'll poke around for oil leaks.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Always worth changing oil especially if it has to work hard.
Im thinking though that an oil leak would cause a constant flow of smoke rather that intermittant.
And you would notice oil somewhere either dripping on the ground or very oily pipes, if it was leaking to the combustion chamber then its likly that it would also be more continuous.
Im still thinking heating up due to high air temp and low speed. I hope that this is the answer as its the cheapest option for you.
Good luck

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
If it is leaning out (running out of fuel) THAT will cause some overheating....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm ok, the pieces are starting to come together.
If the fuel was having flow issues wouldn't the engine run kind of sputtery or something, besides the whole lack of power on the right side thing the engine sounds pretty smooth.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Hey:
Know this is a dead topic so I will email also.
Did you ever resolve the smoking issue?
I've experienced this also on my 360.
Very erratic!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts