Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I'm back with a new problem. :)

Riding to work this morning, while climbing hill going about 45 the bike started losing power. Then for the rest of the ride I can't get over 40. Get to work and the right side exhaust pressure is almost non-existant. So I figure (and I'm a total noob so I'm probably wrong) that there is something wrong with right side carburetor.

The question is what are the possible causes and should I just take to a shop or try and do something about it myself. I'm new to all this but not afraid to get my hands dirty.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Fuel starvation would be the first place to think of for sure. Crud in the line could block the carb inlet to the bowl. Water in the bowl though that seems less likely, or a blocked jet. I always work on the kis pronciple Keep it simple.
Start with the obvious, first the fuel line followed by the carb bowl.
There is also a possibility of the electrical side failing if you have twin coils one could fail and the other work ok. This should be easy to check to see if there is a spark to start with. Then check out points visually and gap with guage.
Hope that is helpful

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll check all that out first before I do anything more drastic.

This could be a total coincidence but at one point during the ride the bike stalled as I was down shifting quickly and stopping at light. It wouldn't start again, so pulled over tried to start it again a couple of times, nothing. So after sitting there for about three minutes deciding who I was going to call to come get me for some reason I decided to switch fuel petcock to reserve, I knew I had gas so I really don't know why I tried it but it started. So maybe that has something to do with a fuel flow issue (though I'm not sure why the would only effect 1 side) or just sitting with the bike off for a minute helped it to start.

thanks again,
Morgan

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi Morgan
Just a thought from your last comments. May be somthing in the petcock, or stand pipes in the tank. Is there a filter there? Maybe its broken down and letting in crud.
Might be sensible, if you cant find any blocks at the carb end, to take off the petcock and have an eyeball there too.
Keep us updated on what it turns out to be.
It would be nice to see the bike too its always good to see a working bike.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
She is a beauty I can see why you enjoy riding her.
How is the search for the nuciance problems going?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed! Pretty much.

So it turned out to be the fuel flow but kind of a strange thing actually. I pulled the fuel line from the right carb (the side having the problem) drained the little fuel that was in the tube then turned the petcock, nothing happened. So then I tried it on the other carb, same thing, nothing. I've never done this before but I was reasonably sure the fuel should probably come out if the petcock is open. But it didn't make any sense that it wasn't working on either side.

So I looked in the tank, there was definitely gas in there, not a lot but a gallon probably. With a flashlight I looked into the tank at where the fuel valve is, kind of hard to see that far back but there are two little red tubes sticking out of there. Neither of which were under the current level of fuel. Got my gas can and added another gallon of gas. With the fuel level above those tubes, I tried to start the bike.

Starts right up. Take it for a ride, runs nicely, with normal power. Yay!

So I really need to figure out what those tubes are and why they are resting so high in the tank. Seems kind of crazy if a third of my gas isn't available.

The exhaust pressure on the right side is still less than than the left by about half. And I changed the spark plugs, I have no idea how old the ones that were in there are but they are both pretty black, not oil black but carbon black. So there is definitely stuff to keep fixing but I'm just happy to have her working decently again.

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers,
Morgan

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi Morgan
Glad its fixed Have to say I didnt think of that either. Often there is an on and a reserve position the reserve gives youy say 25 miles to find a fuel station. It might be that instead of one at a higher position and one at a lower (they never want to allow all fuel out just in case you get water in the tank).
I am just suprised that the tubes are the same height That doesnt make any sense to me.
This pic shows the old original petcock from my K0 it has teh one tube (the gause has fallen off which it why its been replaced) however ther is a lower hole in the base to allow the reserve to flow in.
The new one has 2 tubes one higher and one lower
[attachment=0:phz181al]100_0498.JPG[/attachment:phz181al]
this is a link to show a newer one the pic isnt great but you should get the idea.
http://images.cmsnl.com/img/products/co ... 1_3010.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah the tubes in mine are definitely closer together than in that picture. Some point soon I'm going to take the petcock off, and make sure everything is clean in there and replace the fuel to carb hoses (as they are kind of old and seem rough). Maybe I'll see if I can adjust the reserve tube down some then.

Cheers,
Morgan

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
That sounds like a plan, still at least the initial problem is less complex than first thought. I love the kis principle, just because I am pretty simple it helps a lot.
Happy riding

1 - 12 of 12 Posts