Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Brand new to this forum. I need some help with my front wheel axle assembly. This is my first bike and I don’t know hardly anything about this stuff, so please explain in detail!

The PO had the same size front and rear wheel on the bike. It was bowing out the forks slightly and he installed 3 washers on the front axle assembly to make it fit. The wheel still rubbed on the forks at the top...

I took out the washers and downsized front tire to a 3.5-18. Now, the axle isn’t tight enough, as in the drum brake won’t even stay together since I took out those extra washers. I took it to a shop and they said I had the wrong end nut on the axle (the one that tightens at the end), so I ordered the right one on eBay (pictured). Well, I’m having the same problem. Now it takes 2 washers instead of 3. You can see the two gold washers in the second photo.

This doesn’t seem right and the wheel doesn’t spin. Also, that spacer (1st photo) that goes half in the wheel and half exposed against the end nut spins with the wheel sometimes and stays still other times.

What’s going on? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 72 CB350. I put a front end from a 71 on it, and the wheel would not fit between the forks. I had to source a new axle, nut and spacer for it. I would check the part numbers on cmsnl to see, but you may be in a reverse situation.

Reactions: I-Ride-A-ホンダ

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
You probably have an older axle and spacers (and maybe wheel) on it. The older 350 forks were a little more narrow. The axle goes on the other way, too - the part with the hole through it that unscrews goes on the brake side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You probably have an older axle and spacers (and maybe wheel) on it. The older 350 forks were a little more narrow. The axle goes on the other way, too - the part with the hole through it that unscrews goes on the brake side.
Shoot... how can I verify it's from a different bike?
Oh, good to know! Will that spacer stay on the side it's on?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
On my '69, there is no spacer on the brake side - the screw-on end of the axle keeps the brake backing plate in place. There is a short spacer between the right side of the hub and the fork. I'd flip the axle around and see where that leaves you. If you still need washers to space things out correctly, then you need the axle and spacer for your year bike. Is your front end made for a drum brake or a disc brake?

Is the front tire too wide? If the washers were added to provide clearance for a too-wide tire, you need to put a proper width tire on there and lose the washers.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Well this topic has saved me a bit of frustration. I usually stay with the 72/73 bikes but recently picked up a 71 parts bike that turned out to be too good to part out.

I have 4 sets of wheels set up and didn't pay attention to the axles/spacers. I had paired them incorrectly for the 71.

So here are the measurements for the two set ups.

Overall Axle Length 1971 - 193 1972 - 200

Spacer 1971 - 26 1972 - 30

Threaded spacer 1971 - 44 1972 - 48

Correct front tire size is 3.00 x 18

Correct triple tree for 1972/ 1973 has pinch bolts top and bottom, triple for 1971 has pinch bolts only on lower.

Figuring out what some DPO has done is always interesting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my '69, there is no spacer on the brake side - the screw-on end of the axle keeps the brake backing plate in place. There is a short spacer between the right side of the hub and the fork. I'd flip the axle around and see where that leaves you. If you still need washers to space things out correctly, then you need the axle and spacer for your year bike. Is your front end made for a drum brake or a disc brake?

Is the front tire too wide? If the washers were added to provide clearance for a too-wide tire, you need to put a proper width tire on there and loose the washers.
Interesting. I’ll try flipping it around tonight and I’ll take photos without the washers and post them. I think a 3.5 is too wide for this bike, but I read online that it still works.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well this topic has saved me a bit of frustration. I usually stay with the 72/73 bikes but recently picked up a 71 parts bike that turned out to be too good to part out.

I have 4 sets of wheels set up and didn't pay attention to the axles/spacers. I had paired them incorrectly for the 71.

Correct triple tree for 1972/ 1973 has pinch bolts top and bottom, triple for 1971 has pinch bolts only on lower.

I’ll look into the measurements! Thank you so much for posting.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Just to add in another measurement....

Note this was done holding the forks in place and juggling the tape measure so not definitive .....

Space between fork legs at axle mounting .... 1971 - 134 1972/73 - 142

It's always something ....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Alright! Got some measurements. Thank you so much, this is great information. Huge help! I also flipped the axle to insert the correct direction, but no dice.

Here are my measurements.
Axle: 200mm
Spacer: 27mm
Threaded spacer: 48mm
The gap in photo 1 where the two washers WERE is 10mm
Inside of fork legs near axle mount: 130mm

So, sounds like I have the 72 measurements, which must match with the 73 measurements if I have a stock wheel. But I have no clue why it wouldn't all fit together if that's the case!
Photos 3 and 4 are of my triple tree. Does it look right to you?

IMG_7972.jpg

IMG_7971.jpg

IMG_7973.jpg

IMG_7974.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any ideas on this? My next step is probably to take it to a shop if nobody knows here. Seems like it should all fit, given the measurements. That is, if 1972 and 1973’s have the same assembly. Otherwise, maybe I have wheels from a 72.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess that could be the case... are disk brakes wider? My axle length matches the length posted above, so I would think it’s the drum brake. Should I just order a whole stock axle assembly (axle, spacer, nut) on eBay and see if that fits? I would think I’d have the exact same problem, but who knows. I think if someone posted the lengths of their 1973 twin axle, spacer, and nut then that could confirm some things.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m not sure the forks are even the problem, though. The wheel when it’s off the bike won’t assemble properly.
If you’re right, what’s the solution?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
You do not show a picture of the nut side of the axle so I am not sure this is your problem, but I have seen where people have put the nut thingy on backwards on CB 750's and some other Honda models, and the wheel did not space correctly.
TOOLS

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You do not show a picture of the nut side of the axle so I am not sure this is your problem, but I have seen where people have put the nut thingy on backwards on CB 750's and some other Honda models, and the wheel did not space correctly.
TOOLS
These are the photos I posted above. Both sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Well, if the brake side axle "nut" is screwed on all the way and there's a gap on the other side between the shoulder of the axle and the hub spacer, that means the axle is too long for the drum brake hub. If the axle is the correct length for the clamping areas of the forks (right side flush, left side protruding so the hole is showing), then I'd guess you have the 1973 disc brake axle and need the correct axle for a drum brake.

If you put the wheel on the bike with the axle installed like you pictured above, is the wheel a lot closer to the left slider than the right one?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts