Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

PO of my 350 installed LED turn signals. They worked for a little while but then the flasher relay burned out and the bike keeps burning out replacement relays (I am buying LED compatible ones and do not use resistors). Basically whenever I install a new one, it neither fixes the flashers nor lasts longs enough for me to troubleshoot the circuit and see if anything I do fixes the problem.

The only thing I have really found is that the black wire leading to the relay has continuity to ground. I'm not sure how this is possible without the fuse blowing. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?? Not really enjoying my life of hand-signalling my turns...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram for my 72 the black wire is a switched power. The grey wire feeds the turn signal switch. Depending on the bulbs you may need to reduce the output voltage to about 3.5 volts. What kind of bulbs and relay are you using. Also the indicator bulb may have to be rewired. Note that some led bulbs have internal loads to allowing standard flasher relays.

Reactions: KZ900Jim

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The black wire will be showing continuity to ground thru the neutral light, that would be normal. Put a jumper wire between the black and grey wires in place of the flasher, the lights will be on steady when turn signal switch is on. With the lights on steady you can check for problems(bad grounds, shorts, excessive current draw), then plug the flasher back in when youre done.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Did you put diodes between the orange and light blue wires and the dash indicator? Start by jumping the flasher as Mike says, but I would disconnect one of the orange or light blue to the dash indicator or take the bulb out. On the stock turn indicator set the dash indicator is grounded through the opposite side turn signal bulbs. I'm surprised you are getting continuity between black and ground. But Mike says you can. If continuity remains after the circuit is broken, then there is a problem between black and ground. You shouldn't need resistors. They use current that defeats the purpose of using LED. You need some kind of diodes. I bought some 1N4001 diodes at the local electronics store. Cost a buck 50 for both and they work great.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found the problem. My left hand control had pinched the wires coming out it and they were shorting to the bars.

Ended up running the "smoke test" and had to open up my harness to replace a melty wire :)

PS with sparck moto's diode and LED flasher relay, my led flasher dash light works great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.