Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 750 has been running so good it's been a while since my last visit or since I've messed with my other bikes but now I'm back to the 450.

I've removed the previous owner's saddle type seat and put the original seat back on. I've also replaced his clubmans and home made instrument switch panel with original style handlebars and switches so it's looking a lot better to me. I'll post pics as soon as I take them so you can see the change in appearance.

When I got the bike it was struggling to run on one cylinder and sputtering/backfiring on the same cylinder. I replaced the plugs and points but it didn't fix the problem. Yesterday I cleaned all the carb jets, sprayed carb cleaner though the passages, went through the carb adjustment steps in the 450 help section, and replaced all the fuel lines. The slides in both carbs do lift if I puff air into the holes mentioned but I may be blowing a bit harder than what you seem optimum even though it isnt a struggle.

The bike starts right up now and runs on both cylinders but I'm still getting the intermittent sputter/backfire on one cylinder so I need your ideas.

Anyone?

These 450 carbs seem to have many more tiny parts than my sohc 750 carbs that I completely rebuilt so I haven't torn these down yet and would like to avoid doing so if possible.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If you can tear down and fully rebuild 750 carbs then you can tackle the 450 carbs easily. There's not a lot to worry about. Just unscrewing all of the jets, one carb at a time of course, spraying through them/poking if necessary, then verifying they're open and re-installing. Don't soak the carb tops in cleaner, just spray them clean. Take note of everything when removing the air screws. Re-spray all passages.. If you've cleaned them once and then re-synced them then the only possibilty is more dirt got into them. Have you installed in-line fuel filters??

Otherwise your problems may be elsewhere...

Hopefully Bill and/or Steve will back me up on this and mention anything/everything I've forgotten..

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts