Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I had a CB450 right before I went to England in the Air Force and really like it. Over the years I've had a 73 CB750, 71 CB750, 77 CB750, 76 XS650, 76 GL1000, 98 GL1500 and a 84 GL1200. I still have the Gold Wings. But I always wanted a smaller bike for around town. Found a 72 CB450 in boxes for $150 and said what the heck and bought it. Now all my bikes have been fixer-uppers including the Gold Wings. But I have to say the 450 is pretty extreme. First things first.

It's a CL450 and not a CB. I like that even better
The gas tank was shot, rusted clear through
Both brakes were frozen on
None of the hand controls moved
The engine was out
No exhaust
One carb
Air boxes missing
No seat
Lots of stuff just dropped in the box
And last but not least, the engine didn't turn over

So happily home I went and started another project.

SMGDO4R8RvyyvZ9Z42qxyg.jpg so9exPjCQCCQYecDqSteCg.jpg IMG_4662.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2

My first oder of business was to get the motor apart. Got the head off and then after three days of soaking, banging, prying and repeating I got the cylinders off. Not a pretty sight. The right piston was free but the left was stubborn. I could never get the rings off the left piston.

LLi+nH%KTz2rx4iNg7%MKQ.jpg

I took the jugs to a machine shop and had the bores measured. What do you know, they .50 over. He cleaned the bores and said they were OK. So I bought new pistons, rings and pins.

YGNCePYKR3yU37rk6yJ3XA.jpg

I bought an eBay gas tank and then got the complete carb rebuild kit from 4into1.

fullsizeoutput_47b.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part 3

I then split the cases and cleaned up the inside as good as I could.

The crank and trans all looked good so I took them out and got the cases cleaned up.

fullsizeoutput_47d.jpg

From this

fullsizeoutput_47f.jpg

fullsizeoutput_481.jpg

To this

fullsizeoutput_483.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
While you're in there, I'd take a close look at the shift drum detents for wear on the pins and roller shafts along with the shift forks and engagement dogs on the gears. the shift detents are the usual long-term wear item and the parts are NLA, but the roller shafts on the arms can be replaced by a machinist. the shifting can be hit or miss from first into second or from second into third, and from third back to second at times depending... otherwise it looks like a good start. And clean the jets instead of replacing them with aftermarket brass, they aren't always correctly sized

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the cases back together this weekend. Have to do a little welding on my shifter shaft and then I can get the clutch/oil pump back on. While replacing the wires on the stator I looked at the manual and decide I should do the ohm test on it. Good think I did as it failed so I'll be ordering a stator now. Oh well, add it to pile of stuff I've bought so far.

Should get the pistons in the jugs this week and then work on putting the head back together.

Bud.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to try my other multi meter and the stator ohmed out OK. So I'm going to let the meter warm up and try again tonight. I may borrow one of our Fluke meters from work and see what that says.

Bud.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yup, as Tom says, always try to reuse original carburetor parts. Aftermarket are rarely good matches and often cheaper quality. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I've been going kinda slow on the build. Winter has set in so I know I have till March at the earliest before I can test ride. I have mad some progress.

Got the wiring replaced on the stator. It wasn't till I had the three wires sander inlace that I saw the articles about combining the pink and yellow. I decided to leave it as it was. and if I want to do the mod I can at a later date.

Got the crankcase back together along with inspecting the shifting drum clutch and most of the oil filter system. I'll have to order the o-ring set from CMC and get the nut torqued down once I get the motor back in the frame.
vxoKcYZfTf+%+46SvVeliA.jpg

New pistons, rings, wrist pins and wire rings are in and the jugs have been put on.
N3h4iNKBRbW3hEs3D50E2w.jpg

Head has been put back together
5RkMjpB9R8mTSRM5u6mj4w.jpg

Thanks for the advice so far. Although I did order complete rebuild kits for the carbs, I'll defer to the wisdom of the groups and clean and reuse the original jets.

Bud.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi again,

I had ordered a new EK 219H cam chain but then read that there have been some who say it doesn't fit correctly and that the DID 219T chain is better. So I bought one of those. My question for the group is, is there a master link on the new DID chain, I couldn't find one. Do I punch or grind a link off?

thanks,

Bud.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Grind off the pins and remove a link if it's endless. What master link did you get with the chain? If not sure, post a picture of it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi,

I got the cam chain on and the mater link. I read another post about some master links have a press-on side plate. I believe this is what I have sine it to A LOT of squeezing to get the side plate over the pins. It's not going to be run for a while so I'm rotating the motor some to see how everything works.

I got the valve clearance set and so I'm going to go over all the bolts and torque them down. I replaced all the crankcase pas screws with stainless steel allen bolts. I also replaced the pan screws on the cam bearing caps with ss allen bolts.

Still got a few things to do on the motor, replace the points plate and advancer, new sprocket and some wiring.

Next up are the carbs.

Bud.

Not sure what's going on, all my attachments are showing rotated even though on my phone and in iPhoto the not.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Looks good now! so, just to reiterate ad nauseum - lube, lube, lube the cams and followers before starting (pull the valve covers again once the engine is in the frame, the oil flow takes a long time to get there on a cold start)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks good now! so, just to reiterate ad nauseum - lube, lube, lube the cams and followers before starting (pull the valve covers again once the engine is in the frame, the oil flow takes a long time to get there on a cold start)
Thanks. Roger that. Will do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello.

Made more progress. Got the engine done except for a few things. I'm putting it aside till I can get the engine in the frame for the final bits.

Got the carbs rebuilt. Used as much of the old brass as I could but some were too far gone.

Started on the frame. First up were the forks. What a mess.

Before
fullsizeoutput_49d.jpg fullsizeoutput_49f.jpg

After
fullsizeoutput_4a1.jpg

Got them put back together and filled. On to the brakes.

Bud.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts