Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I sell Subaru's for a living and recently had a client strike up a conversation about motorcycles. Long story short he acquired a 72 cl350 from a client of his back in about 2002. His plans were to restore the bike and bring it back to life. He had several strokes over the years and never found the time to work on it so here we are today. I picked this up about month ago and it's been sitting in my shed since. I'm not quite sure if I want to bring it back to its original glory or cut it up and make it mine. Either way it will be going through a bit of a rebuild this winter. At the very least I want to get it running before I make any decisions on direction.

As far as I can tell the bike is all original with roughly 8000 miles on it. The previous owner already purchase a por15 tank kit, new battery, and several other small pieces that will need to be replaced. The only major flaw on the bike seems to be the headlight housing, you can see in the picture bent brackets and missing paint. At some point one of the PO's tried removing the stator cover, one of the bolt heads snapped off and left the screw stuck in the crank cover. Has anyone extracted one of these before? Any methods that have worked well for people in the past? My plan was to drill it out and try to tap the threads or helicoil if I can't get it out. Any advice would be appreciated on that.

I'll be updating this post as much as possible during the process. I do have a 9 month old at home so free time is fairly limited but I hope to have it on the road this spring. Any feedback, comments, or advice is greatly welcomed. I do have experience working on and modifying many different cars and have done a little motorcycle work in the past, previously owned a cx500 and an sr250.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
If you plan on keeping it forever, make it your own. If you plan on selling it, keep it original. It will retain more value.

·
Premium Member
24,206 Posts
Paint scheme of the tank and the painter headlight ears say you've got a 1971, '72 had chrome headlight ears and ugly tank paint.
For the broken bolt I'd remove the other 2 screws and pull the cover over the broken one. That way you have access to the remainder of it and might be able to use a stud extractor to remove the broken piece, better than drilling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paint scheme of the tank and the painter headlight ears say you've got a 1971, '72 had chrome headlight ears and ugly tank paint.
For the broken bolt I'd remove the other 2 screws and pull the cover over the broken one. That way you have access to the remainder of it and might be able to use a stud extractor to remove the broken piece, better than drilling.
Great idea on removing the cover, didn't think about that but I suppose I could get a vice on the threads and spin it off.

I also thought it was an earlier model based on paint but the title comes back as a 72' Any chance I have a unicorn?

Mike

·
Registered
625 Posts
Please don't cut up that bike. Originals are hard to come by and getting rarer. You will end up with a bike that looks like everyone else's corny wannabe "cafe" project instead of a well maintained original. If you want something to cut up please sell that bike and buy something that's has already had someone else f##k it up.

What you have there is a 71' probably sold in 72 hence the title. The gold/black batwing paint is one of the cooler paint scheme's in my opinion and not seen all that often.

Please, please, please, don't hack it to bits.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
^^^^^^ yes, that is a color you don't see very often. Just enjoy it, take your time. Have patience. You'll have less time when your kids 2! Buy a runner to ride in the meantime f you have too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please don't cut up that bike. Originals are hard to come by and getting rarer. You will end up with a bike that looks like everyone else's corny wannabe "cafe" project instead of a well maintained original. If you want something to cut up please sell that bike and buy something that's has already had someone else f##k it up.

What you have there is a 71' probably sold in 72 hence the title. The gold/black batwing paint is one of the cooler paint scheme's in my opinion and not seen all that often.

Please, please, please, don't hack it to bits.
When I got it my plan was to hack it up, no doubt, it's why I purchased it. Now when I look at it I'm having hard time justifying it. I'll probably get it running and safe for someone and then let it go so I can pursue a different project.

Still having a hard time deciphering the title. From my experience it doesn't matter when the vehicles was sold, just the MY it was manufactured for. Again my experience is regarding new stuff so maybe it was considered something different back in the 70's. My thought though, is how long would this go on? If it was made in 71 and sat at a dealer till 73, would it be titles as a 73?

Mike

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hard to say, they played it fast and loose back in the day... not that I would know... I wasn't around yet but I've heard stories! What you have there is a 1971 CL350 in great shape, the bucket doesn't even have the typical "clip chip". Please make a project thread and update us to your progress, you will make some Honda fan very happy when/if you decide to let it go. May very well end up falling in love with it along the way, just think how cool its going to be when your kid is old enough to ride...

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you decide to hack it up, dibs on the exhaust....

had the same thought about mine, but after going through it I just couldn't do it. Everything was there and it just needed a few little things. You can still put some personal touches on it just save all the original parts. They're worth a lot more in original condition.

dibs on them pipes...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
This bike is a survivor. If you want to build a custom bike do it to something else. A damaged or rusted bike would make a much better candidate. I am a believer in private property, but if I had a dollar for every bike that showed up on this forum, got the back of the frame cut off and the airbox replaced with cone filters and then the owner couldn't get it running in two weeks I would be rich. If you bring this bike back to life you will learn something, have a very sweet classic Honda that gets you a lot of attention and gain a lot of respect on this site. Start with the Basic Checklist for that New to You old Bike. Keep us informed and we will give you a lot of help.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Back then, any bikes left over from the previous year were sold as current year models. It's fairly common to see what's clearly a '71 model with '72 paperwork. My '69 was sold as a '70 model, and it clearly isn't.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
What is the 1st digit after the CL350 in the Serial number stamped on the head tube.

That will identify the year/model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This bike is a survivor. If you want to build a custom bike do it to something else. A damaged or rusted bike would make a much better candidate. I am a believer in private property, but if I had a dollar for every bike that showed up on this forum, got the back of the frame cut off and the airbox replaced with cone filters and then the owner couldn't get it running in two weeks I would be rich. If you bring this bike back to life you will learn something, have a very sweet classic Honda that gets you a lot of attention and gain a lot of respect on this site. Start with the Basic Checklist for that New to You old Bike. Keep us informed and we will give you a lot of help.
Thank you for the link as well as the advice. I definitely wont be cutting it up at this point. I pretty much scrapped that idea before I made this thread but just needed a little reassurance that it was a bad idea ;)

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
It's a K3, initially introduced by Honda in February of '71. It's definitely a '71 that was likely held over and sold either late '71 (after September 1st in FL back then) or during '72 and titled that way, happened all the time back then, as mentioned above

CB350-2.jpg

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's a K3, initially introduced by Honda in February of '71. It's definitely a '71 that was likely held over and sold either late '71 (after September 1st in FL back then) or during '72 and titled that way, happened all the time back then, as mentioned above

View attachment 272372
Hey Tom,
just read that write up on bike bound, don't know how I missed it. Up to this point had only seen photos of the bike you had posted from meet-ups. Great photos in that article. Love the thinner rear fender and short suspension, really subtle way to slim the back without sacrificing original lines. Beautiful pipes as well, bet you wish you still had the original one too!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is in too good condition to cut up. My rule is that if it is a piece of crap which yours is not then use it as a parts bike or build a cafe racer.
It is a nice unique bike and should not be lost to history. Please restore.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Wow! Just plain wow. Clicked on this thread expecting to see some rusty hulk from under a shredded blue tarp in someone's yard. This is a great bike!!! Some guys have all the luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi, I’m in Mpls. Built 7 or 8 350s. Stock is cute but built is awesome. That bike running is worth about 2G. You chop it and put in another 2G you may get 2G for it. But to build something unique is so fulfilling you won’t care about the money. If you live around Mpls you can contact me at [email protected]. I’ll try and help you our.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts