Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased this bike and these tires were mounted.
Front: 3.25 X 19 4 PR
Rear: 4.00 X 18 4 PR​

I've read the sticky posts and understand these tires are oversized, but they are for all purposes new and I'm thrifty.

So, my question is what are the hazards associated with operating these tires, and what pressure would be best to run them on.

Thanks - Joe.

·
Registered
830 Posts
First off check the production date on your tires. It will be hot stamped into the sidewall. It should read as a example 3616 which translates to the 36 week of 2016. That willtell you the age of the tire. Tires do get time worn, I just threw out a never driven tire that was cracked and dry rotted.

Oversize concerns happen because of the rim size on these bikes. Both rims are at or very close to the max for the stock tire size. When you fit oversize tires you change the profile the tire manufacturer considers optimum. On my CL I changed out the front 19 rim to a 18 rear but still run the 3.00 x 18 tire.

With the bigger rear you get a bike that is harder to lean over, I call it flickability. Think of it as dancing with someone with large feet.

You aren't going to put yourself at a major disadvantage running those sizes, I would be more concerned with the actual age of the tires.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^yes, no matter what they look like you should still check the date stamp. That said, my CL450 has K70s with a 4.00-18 on the rear paired with the stock 3.25-19 on the front and there is very little difference in general handling. Unless you're planning to go hard cornering on the best twisties you can find, I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The K70 is what I always liked to run, years ago & hoped to runs a similar design tire on my Super Hawk Mock-up (when I actually get it together and on the road. Can you still buy Pirelli tires? If not, is there any tire out there, that has the thread design similar to the Dunlop K70 or Pirelli? Not looking for a super exspensive tire either. And I am not going to be acting like I am in a Road Race either, not at almost 72 yrs of age. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off check the production date on your tires. It will be hot stamped into the sidewall. It should read as a example 3616 which translates to the 36 week of 2016. That willtell you the age of the tire. Tires do get time worn, I just threw out a never driven tire that was cracked and dry rotted.

Oversize concerns happen because of the rim size on these bikes. Both rims are at or very close to the max for the stock tire size. When you fit oversize tires you change the profile the tire manufacturer considers optimum. On my CL I changed out the front 19 rim to a 18 rear but still run the 3.00 x 18 tire.

With the bigger rear you get a bike that is harder to lean over, I call it flickability. Think of it as dancing with someone with large feet.

You aren't going to put yourself at a major disadvantage running those sizes, I would be more concerned with the actual age of the tires.
Hi Boomer343,

Thanks for your reply... Looks like the tires were made in 2016, and the tube stems look new too, so I'm going to run them and see what happens.

The front tire states 33psi and the rear is 39psi is this the max pressure? If so what pressure should I ride at?

Regards - Joe

·
Registered
830 Posts
Honda manual says for stock sizes 26 front 28 rear.
Clymer says 23 for all including 4.00 x 18

I would go stock, 26 and 28.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Back in The Day, K-70's were the tire of choice, surprisingly good on even wet pavement and gravel/dirt.
I wouldn't hesitate to run them today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts