Honda Twins banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
ancientdad, here is a high-res of the previously blown-out area. Used some quicksteel putty down in the hole with the locator pin set at the proper height to seal it, and it's not going anywhere since there's very little / no force applied to that pin. But you were talking about the countershaft big bearing? That's the one pin that hasn't been disruptive!

https://i.imgur.com/JVqYf5v.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aCQDNzZ.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
I'm surprised that I like the looks of this, but I do. Normally I prefer the bone stock appearance. It looks like you are doing a nice job. Are you sure you have a '72 model? Is that what it says on the S/N plate on the steering stem area of the frame? I think you have a 1971 K3 model, which probably got titled as a '72 because that is when it was first sold. That was a common practice back then. It won't make much difference, unless maybe when looking for something in the parts fiche. Anyway, good luck with the rest of the build.

Reactions: clofan

·
Registered
13,008 Posts
I was actually talking about the small end opposite the countershaft bearing/front sprocket, the exact one you showed in the second picture - and it looks good. It was (as I'd hoped) an illusion, and the distance of the picture didn't clear things up. Good job, glad all is well

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I'm surprised that I like the looks of this, but I do. Normally I prefer the bone stock appearance. It looks like you are doing a nice job. Are you sure you have a '72 model? Is that what it says on the S/N plate on the steering stem area of the frame? I think you have a 1971 K3 model, which probably got titled as a '72 because that is when it was first sold. That was a common practice back then. It won't make much difference, unless maybe when looking for something in the parts fiche. Anyway, good luck with the rest of the build.
Thanks! Yep, it's an 04/72... recently had it's 47th birthday!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Taking an old tire off can be a real job. You need 3 spoons and 3 arms. First spray around the bead. I use WD40. Break the bead by standing on it. Insert 2 spoons about 2 inches apart and pry a small part of the bead over the rim. Insert the 3rd spoon about 3-4 inches further on. May have to use a BFH. Now pry all three, hold the two farthest down and move the middle one a couple inches farther on. I kneel on the two while moving it. You have to keep the bead over the rim while doing this or you have to start over. Repeat again. After a couple moves the tire will stay. Then continue around. The last pop can be a bitch. The longer the levers the easier it is.
I always rewire. Stock wiring is a nightmare. Use the frame as ground. Dah Honda.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts