Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So good to have you guys as a resource!! My '72 CL175 is almost ready but......the previous owner removed the signal relay and rewired the system as a 73 model (according to my manuals, anyway) using the right gauge but wrong color coded wires for either year model. its been like solving the backside of the worlds hardest jigsaw puzzle. well, we've installed a new relay and hooked up everything the way we think it should be and - yeehaw - all lights/blinkers/starter etc. work exactly as they should.....for about a half day. then, merely running the turn signals drains the whole system to the point that it will KILL the engine....i've never heard of this - ever. it doesn't matter what rpm i'm at, the engine will die like its being strangled. i did not have this problem before adding the relay and i did have to re-connect some other wires that were left to flap about under the seat.not sure they are mating correctly because of the color changes. i will recharge the battery (amazingly it will come back to full charge in just a few minutes) and the process will start all over again. for starters, i would like to know where exactly the wires coming from the regulator (the aluminum box under the battery) go. try to be as descriptive as possible because , as i've said, the wires may or may not be color coded correctly. and i'd like to know where exactly the wires coming out of the magnetic starter switch (round object on left side of battery) go and what their original colors were. could it be a spent battery? the original owner said it was brand new (and it looks brand new) - i am positive that the new relay is tied in correctly and i haven't found a short in the system. i had a similar problem with a '73 CL350 and the guy at the honda shop merely connected a black wire within the headlight shell to solve the problem. all the wires within the 175's headlight shell have been checked and triple checked. in my opinion, honda should have placed a sticker inside all of the 70's model twins that reads "HERE BE MONSTERS"....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thought you might like to see the bike that i'm having the problems with in case there's an issue about which model it is. it will be my backroads "adventure-tourer" - i've tried to model it after some of the modern day bikes. the tires are dirty because i couldn't wait to try out the beefier suspension out back.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Regulator wires are as follows....
Black to a "hot" when key is on (black wire on the stock harness)
Yellow to the yellow wire coming out of the alternator
Green to a good chassis ground.....

Solenoid:
Heavy blacks to battery and starter motor
Smaller gauge black to "hot when key is on" wire
Yellow with red stripe to right handlebar unit (grounds when button is pushed)

Turn signals:
Relay gets power from a "hot when key on wire" (Black in stock harness)
Grey carries the power to the left handlebar unit where the directional switch sends it out either to the left signals (orange wires) or right signals (baby blue wires)
The grounds after the bulbs (greens) complete the circuit....

·
Registered
363 Posts
if it worked well then did not I would assume either your battery is whooped, ie drained to the point the extra load from the signals takes it bellow the needed threshold for running, or you have developed a short. try checking battery voltage while running, see what happens to it when you flip on the blinkers if it is low and drops a little, trouble shoot the charging system, if it drops through the floor look for a short in the blinker system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. i'm on it like oprah on a porkchop. i'm just about convinced that the battery is "whooped", though. whoever wired this thing should be forced to lick harley oil off of a garage floor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any chance you have a download for the electrical system for that 1972 cl175? My wiring is hacked up also.
sir flavius said:
So good to have you guys as a resource!! My '72 CL175 is almost ready but......the previous owner removed the signal relay and rewired the system as a 73 model (according to my manuals, anyway) using the right gauge but wrong color coded wires for either year model. its been like solving the backside of the worlds hardest jigsaw puzzle. well, we've installed a new relay and hooked up everything the way we think it should be and - yeehaw - all lights/blinkers/starter etc. work exactly as they should.....for about a half day. then, merely running the turn signals drains the whole system to the point that it will KILL the engine....i've never heard of this - ever. it doesn't matter what rpm i'm at, the engine will die like its being strangled. i did not have this problem before adding the relay and i did have to re-connect some other wires that were left to flap about under the seat.not sure they are mating correctly because of the color changes. i will recharge the battery (amazingly it will come back to full charge in just a few minutes) and the process will start all over again. for starters, i would like to know where exactly the wires coming from the regulator (the aluminum box under the battery) go. try to be as descriptive as possible because , as i've said, the wires may or may not be color coded correctly. and i'd like to know where exactly the wires coming out of the magnetic starter switch (round object on left side of battery) go and what their original colors were. could it be a spent battery? the original owner said it was brand new (and it looks brand new) - i am positive that the new relay is tied in correctly and i haven't found a short in the system. i had a similar problem with a '73 CL350 and the guy at the honda shop merely connected a black wire within the headlight shell to solve the problem. all the wires within the 175's headlight shell have been checked and triple checked. in my opinion, honda should have placed a sticker inside all of the 70's model twins that reads "HERE BE MONSTERS"....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i used the schematics within the clymer manual and a web-site called oldmanhonda.com - i think most of his diagrams are in color, which is helpful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cool, That oldmanhonda sight is great..Thanks
sir flavius said:
i used the schematics within the clymer manual and a web-site called oldmanhonda.com - i think most of his diagrams are in color, which is helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts