Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm doing a frame up restoration of a 72 CB450 K5 and am down to the carbs. I need the correct float setting to finish them up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, Is there anything special needed to get these running right. I read the bulletin section about the jets. I have not heard this bike run yet. But it won't be long. Where should the mixture setting be to start with?

Thanks for the help.
Larry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I read through it but was unable to see the pictures. All I saw in it's place was "Image" Some of the pictures showed up like the carb with the 2 arrows on it. But no one actually verified which point to start from on the carb to get the 20mm height from. Is it the body UNDER the gasket? Or the recessed notch that goes up and around the gasket surface? AS the floats in my project are now, it is 20mm from the top of the lipped edge. Is this right or should it be down in the notch?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jeremy.
Where did you find that information? I can't find it online anywhere. I don't have a manual for this bike as it's not mine. It's a customers bike that I'm doing a full polish and restore on. I found this link but it doesn't say anything about float settings. http://www.i3juy.freeservers.com/English/Moto/Manual/Table of Contents.html I thank you for the info. Just trying to find a resource for factory settings that I can save.
Have you run your bike with these settings?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much Jeremy.

Is there a link somewhere to an online manual?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys very much. I just started this bike up like it had never been sitting. I did drill the intake manifolds so I could use the balance manometer too. That sure makes it easier.

Here is a picture of what I'm working on.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
That bike looks pretty good. What is the front end off of? I'd be interested in seeing some closer picture of the front brake M/C and the switch gear. What year is the bike?

Please take a minute to change your profile or signature to indicate what part of the country you're from.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This bike is a 72 450K5 with only 7K on it. The front end is stock as far as I know. But the owner changed the headlight bucket for a 7" and aftermarket aluminum brackets. He didn't want the dust sleeves on it because he wants to see the chrome on the fork tubes. I'm still waiting on the MC kit and the caliper. The cal. had a butchered up bleeder in it and couldn't be saved.

The MC is stock, but I put the cap on the metal lathe and cut the anodizing off accept for the top decal area and the recessed notches to get the deep nicks out of it before I polished it. I haven't wiped it all down yet with aluminum protecting paste. Sorry about the smudgy looking polished parts. I'm still working on a lot of details.

I'm not sure if this is a 4 or 5 speed yet. I haven't had it on the road to see.

I'm having a problem with the charging system right now. It's not charging. And with the light on the rectifier started to get hot at the wires. All I have to work with on that is a wiring diagram though. I may have a wire hooked up wrong. I need to check back in all the hook ups.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts