Honda Twins banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my front wheel assembly with the the gearbox and the spacer does not fit nicely between the forks. If feels like the spacer needs to be shorter in order for the axle nut to fit in its proper place on the fork. Or i have to pry the forks apart like a half inch for things to fit right, but that's forced.
I also suspect that my gear box is not the right one. I am sure I am installing it correctly and it fits into its notches on the hub, but still, its just too tight.
I know that there are 2 version of these gear boxes: one where the cable snaps in and the other where the cable is twisted on. I am not sure if i have the right one.

Any images or insight of this stuff would surelly give me an idea of what is wrong. If you can post a picture of a cb450 front wheel mounted with spacer and speedo gear box that would be motofantastic.

Thanks, and thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Can you post a picture of the whole assembly taken from the front of the bike?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Your '72 should have a disc wheel. the cable pushes into the drive and is retained by a Phillip's head screw....It is possible to install the axle backwards (from the opposite side) and get a non-centered or otherwise non-fitting assembly.....The 'head' of the axle goes on the right side, through the drive, through the wheel then the spacer and the "nut' with the hex side in.....This is opposite of the direction for the drum wheels..... Do you have pix of what you have?.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will get some pics of what I have shortly. The wheel assembly is quite simple, and the manual shows the assembly in the order you described.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here is a closer look at what is going on with the front end: See anything unusual? Whats the diagnosis? Is it gonna make it? :)

Thanks for your help BTW boys.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Well, for one, the "nut" is on backwards....The hex side goes inside (between) the sliders....(that "hollow" section goes/fits over the axle and puts the hex against the spacer)... The axle should be torqued before the wheel assembly is installed

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, its all clear now. The conclusion is that I have the wrong speedo gear box. The nut is on backwards because I actually managed to fit the wheel on that way. It works but its forced, which is not that good.

thanks for the input.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
...The speedo drive looks correct for a drum brake 450, .... reverse the "nut" so the axle inserts into the "hollow" end and the threads are at the "outside" of the sliders.....(hex against wheel spacer tube)

EDIT.... I just double checked my fische... That drive unit is for a drum wheel as far as I can find.... The correct one can be had from a 500/4, 550/4 or early 750 as well as the disc 450 or 500T.... Sorry I confused the drive units.... My fault!...Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have tried what you are suggesting. It simply wont fit.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
I edited in that I checked my fische....you need a disc brake type speedo drive unit, AND to reverse the "nut".... See my previous post's edit....
For an easy test, remove the drive, set the axle "head" flush on the inside of the right slider and reverse the "nut'....if it fits that way,and the wheel centers when pushed to the left, you definately have the wrong drive, although I believe we've established that despite my confusing the disc and drum types... Again, sorry....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had been suspecting for a long time that the drive was not right. You just confirmed it. Thank you once again. I will most certainly reverset the nut ( hex to spacer) as thats how it is in the book. But I guess I am going shopping for a new drive.

Have you noticed any in the parts section by chance?

Thanks again for looking into it.

Cheers, -

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Since the drive unit is wrong, perhaps you were initially correct and the spacer is for the drum brake wheel too......That "test" will tell.....

I may have a drive unit for you.....give me a couple days....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the spacer does NOT check out, I think its the wrong one. I removed the drive, reversed the nut, put the wheel back on and now the disk is rubbing against the caliper ( slave cylinder side). I sure would like to know how long is that spacer needs to be.....

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Don't go strictly by the caliper against the rotor...That can be adjusted somewhat.... IS the wheel/tire centered in the forks during the test?....Regardless, I'll look for the spacer as well as the drive.... :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nah, the wheel is not really centered between the forks. It's more towards the right fork, which means the spacer is too big. I realize that the caliper position can be adjusted lil bit, but man, mine is way off. And I will be surprised if a drive will be able to fit in the space that is left for it.... no way..... even the right drive can't be that small.
If you do end up finding a spacer, pm me some measurements please, and I will be able to tell if it will complete the assembly. Otherwise I can just cut the spacer I have which would be really cheap and shameless,- just the way I like it. :D

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
If I have those parts, shipping is all they'll cost you.... Might be nice to have exact...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have an axle, nut and a speedo drive off a 78 cb550, (the forks ended up on my 450) If you cant find yours Steve. same deal. (I don't have a spacer)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts