Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So "part deux" is well underway. I'm not good at project logging, so the pics I have to date were for reference only. Then I found this site while setting up my cam chain., so then I joined. So part deux is my second project bike, my first being a 76 CB550. I love these old Hondas. I starting by purchasing two basket cases, a 1970 CL450 and a 1974 CB450, well paper work was a mess and the bikes had incomplete engines. So I bought a third bike, 1972 CB450, good papers in my home state and what i thought was a good engine, boy was I wrong! This is how it looked when I brought it home.

So then I began the assessment. It ran but poorly, low compression, needed rebuild. The shifter shaft was bent and stripped, then pinned but only 1/2 way through so I had to cut the shaft off for disassembly.

Pistons .075mm over bore, new cam chain, new old stock cam end caps, new old stock cam followers, gaskets & seals, new shift shaft, valve job.

Cylinder bored and powder coated black, I had the fins wiped off for a different look. The case were split, all parts inspected, cases painted. I'm doing a 550-4 engine at the same time, so the pic shows both motors.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 72 CB450 cafe project aka part deux

With the amount of aluminum on this engine, I figured I'd learn how to polish. I bought a Harbor freight polisher and built a stand fom an old truck rim and some channel iron, pic to follow later.

The engine brackets on the CL were aluminum, so they got polished as did all the covers. I learned that you better be holding onto your work tight, I lost the chain cover and broke a piece off, more ebay purchases!

So all the covers got done, I love the look of these engines. I high temp painted the engine, the top part silver and the lower black, wiped the fins off. I like it. The exhaust will be stainless steel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So Benjie from BCR Benjie's cafe racer is building for me a metal tank, seat pan, battery relocation box, handle bars, headlight bracket, stainless exhaust all similar to his Armadillo bike, except the tank which is to be a one off custom. So while I'm waiting, I made new rear set mounts as the stock rear mounts are kinda ugly stamped steel. So I fabbed them up trying to match the angles of the swing arm at ride height and the down tubes for the vertical lines. I moved them down and back so I fit comfortably.

So all my bolt ons went to powder coat. When the rims & hubs came back, i put in new bearings and sent them to Buchanan's for new stainless spokes and to have then built. They do an incredibly nice job, so here they are fresh out of the box.

I am running a front drum, I just love the way it looks, so vintage. The switches on the 1970 bike were trash so ebay to the rescue, I found new left and right switches correct for my bulid with front drum brake and stop light switch hole. Man they cost a few bucks, I'll do a pic of them later.

New tires, new tubes, chain, fork seals, tapered steering stem bearings. So as of today, forks are rebuilt, wheels are ready, motor is done. I'm waiting for Benjie to finsh, he's doing an awsome job for me. Then the frame will be off to powder. I still have to do the carbs. Thats about it for now. Here is a pic of my first build, its a 1976 CB550. This new 450 will have alot of similarities.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If anyone wants the stock parts I removed, let me know I'll see if I need them.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
Re: 72 CB450 cafe project aka part deux--pics inside

Benjie did my CB 350 pipe...it's awsome!

I sent him all the numbers I wanted; header tube ID, header length, collector length, collector ID megaphone length initial ID reverse megaphone taper, etc and he made it just like I wanted.

for $800 he'll get my business every time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts

it's close but no. Benjie did a mock up before final welding and we sent lots of measurements back and forth while deciding on the final specs. it clears the center stand, lower frame rail and rear set brake pedal with about 7 or 8 mm clearance on all at the closest point. In short Benjie nailed it...I did have to apply a little leverage to the collector after final installation to get enough clearance on the lower frame rail to keep it from contacting there but nothing a 3 foot long pickaxe couldn't cure :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hmmmmm its been a while. Here are some build pics.

At this point the frame has been powder coated in Anthrecite. Forks pc'd silver and rebuilt, new tapered stem bearings. I customized the swing arm, +3" over stock, the stock one is just too short, alot of custom work went into the swing arm. The battery relocation box is on, it wraps out around the upper shock mounts, clean look. I painted all the body work in the same color as the frame so after the two tone paint goes on, I'll have a 1/4" stripe to match the frame. I spent three days and two rolls of fine line tape before I settled on a design. I really wanted to bring out the custom shape of the tank. I didn't want anything trendy so it was a hard decision. I don't have photoshop, so designing and picking colors the old way is hard. Benjie at BCR did an awesome job with all the body work and exhaust. More pics to come.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts

Thanks, Deux,

That looks terrific! I just started my first-ever rehab, and the pictures posted give me an idea of what first-class work looks like. Will you change the design on the electrics, or follow the original?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Bob,
Well, most of the stock plan for wiring will remain as designed. New wires and connectors though. All electrics moved to rear seat area. Hondaman ignition to help performance and reliability. Led turn sigs. Handlebar switches are from an older model 450 for the drum brake wheel so a little different wiring needs there.

Kevin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: 72 CB450 cafe project aka part deux--pics inside NEW PIC

Wow. Stunning bike. You should be proud. Hell, I'm proud having read about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks guys, it was alot of learning about these engines, they are a swiss watch compared to others. The whole project has been a labor of love. I would do it again, heck, I probably will.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts

Wow. Motorcycle as Art!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
37 Posts