Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this should go here or misc, but, I’m pretty close to being “done” with my build. I’ve kept the engine as close to stock as possible using OEM parts. Everything has been measured, cylinders honed, spacing all seems good and I had a mechanic locally go over the engine to look for any glaring mistakes. I have two question. 1: it has been close to 5-6 months since I have been inside the engine do I need to be concerned about the assembly lube dripping or running off where I intended for it to be? The engine went from Louisiana to Memphis when I moved (roughly the same height above sea level +- 300ft). The oil drain plug was left off for several months but the bike was garage (not climate controlled) stored. The winter here has also been brutal. [just wanted to lu out all the facts]
2) what’s the proper break in protocol? I’ve read a ton of conflicting articles and a lot were for water cooled bikes or for bikes with oil pressure/temp sensors. I don’t want to have wasted the $$ and time I’ve spent and this is my first ever rebuild. I appreciate any advice and thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Well, there are slightly fewer opinions on this one than "what's the best oil", but still plenty of choices.

Some (not many around here) say to idle around town for a few hours. Others say to ride it like you stole it.

Personally, I would ride normally (whatever that is), lots of accel/decel, not a lot of idling.

Change the oil after first 50-100 miles, again after another 200.

I wouldn't worry about the assembly lube. There's really nothing you could do about it anyway short of tearing it down and starting over. New engines can sit for years before getting installed.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If it's just a hone and new rings, there isn't nearly the high friction level there would be with a fresh bore, so IMO break-in would be minimal in this situation. I wouldn't go redline it right off the bench, but I'd ride it moderately to briskly for the first 100 miles or so and follow the oil change recommendation J-T described above - after that, ride it as you wish. Now on that oil discussion... :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts