Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gents, every time i put me left turn signal on, the fuse blows. I looked closely at any point where the wire harness may rub against something on the frame, but saw no exposed wires or anything out of the ordinary. I asked my fellow mechanic at work and he said the switch itself my be bad.

Any ideas ?
thanks -Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
NOS351WCM said:
Hey gents, every time i put me left turn signal on, the fuse blows. I looked closely at any point where the wire harness may rub against something on the frame, but saw no exposed wires or anything out of the ordinary. I asked my fellow mechanic at work and he said the switch itself my be bad.

Any ideas ?
thanks -Dan
Your guy may be right - wires often get pinched where they leave the switch and enter the handlebars.
Try twisting the switch just a little bit (if it will). If the fuse blowing stops - there's your problem.
Also look inside the headlight shell - maybe there's a shoty in there.

Having been through fuse-blowing episodes myself, I recommend splicing in an automotive type fuse or breaker - those metric fuses are hard to find and expensive too......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
100% agreement... the usual cause is a short that is cut in the wire by rotation of the switch unit on the bars (one tip/fall can do this... is the clutch lever bent or scraped?)... Also look at the area where the wires exit the bars, and drop to the headlight shell.....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help gents, i really do appreciate it. i plan to get my 350 on the road while i repair my 450 k5. it suffers from the 2nd gear problem that is commonly mentioned on this forum.
Any ideas as to where i can find a switch? i looked on ebay, some of those switches go well over $100!
Thanks -Dan

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Find the actual problem FIRST!... It may be as simple as a solder joint or some shrink tube to fix...... No use spending if you don't have to....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should i take the switch apart first? if so, what should i look for?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes, open the left-hand unit.... Check the wiring for frays or cuts where it bends and goes into the handlebars.... Check for wires pulled loose or broken from the switchplate..... Get back to us with results....

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you connect a test light to the battery positive post and the other end either to the turn signal wire inside the switch or to the positive post for the winker filament inside the bulb socket (sounds hard - can be done with a suitably adjusted cork with an off-centre hole drilled through it), the light will go on - demonstrating that you have a short (which you already know). The usefulness of this is that it stays lit until you move the part of the wire that's shorting, when the test light fluctuates or goes out. Beats blowing fuses to find the short.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
That might work nicely, if the short remaims/continues after the switch is opened up to access the wiring....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok ill try the test light. ill get to work on the bike when i go home for winter break. cant wait to get this bike on the road. thanks for the help guys.
-Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts