Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got the bike back from having some engine work done and having the carbs cleaned. I plan on talking with shop about all this, but just wanted to be more educated on what might be going on.

anyway - the bike is all stock, except for the Uni filters. the 1st issue I've really noticed ws that the bike just will not hold an idle. It starts fine, and revs freely, the engine will settle around 800-900 rpm and will hold for maybe 15-20 seconds and then eventually will just stumble and die. Once I had some time I poked around a little bit this is what I've found.

Opening and closing the choke doesn't seem to have any effect onthe idle.

the right cylinder is running significantly cooler and with less exhaust backpressure than the left. I'm thinking it could be running rich, or might not be getting enough spark, but didn't have a chance to investigate either of those.

any thoughts and opinions are welcome

thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. I have an 81 cm400. Once it's warm it will idle most of the time. Sometimes it does die though. I think it has to do with a blocked fuel tube to the right carb (the problem cylinder). Sometimes it will fire, sometimes it won't. I'm getting a new set of carbs next week which will hopefully fix the problem.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Normal idle speed for a 350 is around 1200 RPM..... Of course it will die at 800!.... Also sounds like it was incorrectly sync'ed...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts