Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not starting any work on the 350 until I get the Hawk finished but I've been wondering what direction to go with the 350. One thing I'm wondering about is the forks, does anyone have a picture of the CB forks without the covers on them? I'd like to see what they look like underneath them, especially the chrome lower cover that is attached to the lower fork. Does that one come off easily?

Also there is a hole on the front side of the left fork, but there is nothing attached to it. Is my bike missing something? What is it there for? Picture below to show this hole.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
The 72 forks are the same as the 73 350G (US) model forks.... That "extra" empty hole and the "kink" in the fender brace are to allow fitting the disc brake caliper/carrier.....Apparently, the US versions didn't get discs until a year later than everywhere else........ Those forks (I believe) are internally sprung..... Both covers in question can be removed if desired,and a short "dust wiper" type seal cover can be fitted... , essentially yielding a fork that is identical to the CB 360 forks in looks and function....You are not "missing" any parts that I can see by the pic.... :lol: Steve

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The extra mounts are probably for disk brake caliper mounts - some '72/'73 K4 models were equipped with them, so were the G-models, though I'm not clear on whether the G's had the same forks as K4, though they probably did.

I'll leave it to one of our 350 experts to verify this, but I believe that by the K4, external fork springs had been superseded, so it probably has a clean look under there - but that area of the forks is usually pretty well rusted up after 35-40 years. You'd also probably want to do something about different fork ears as well.

Interestingly, in the "newest" 350 manual, Honda mentions a CB K5 model - I've never seen this reference anywhere else.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Supposition on my part.... The 350 K3's serials started 3000001...The K4's serials started 4000001....The "G" models serials started 500XXXX.... They might be the referred to K5's..... :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steve and Bill for the info. I'll have to take a look under those covers to see how it looks once I finish the Hawk. Hopefullly its not too rusty up around the headlight ears as I was thinking of using different ones. I was also thinking of going with fork gaitors , so I wanted to know if the lower cover came off. That answers my questions (...for now anyway :D ), thanks again guys.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
You will have to either use CL "ears" (if using honda gaitors) or get gaitors that reduce to the 33mm tube diameter at the top......

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
Supposition on my part.... The 350 K3's serials started 3000001...The K4's serials started 4000001....The "G" models serials started 500XXXX.... They might be the referred to K5's..... :lol:
Steve -

The Honda manual treats the G separately, so I'm still in the dark about a "K5"......

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Was "just" supposin'..... I don't know either..... There WAS a CL K5.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts