Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I mounted my newly assembled engine, and attempted to start it. Continues to fire randomly out of carburetor and exhaust...

-Double Checked that the "L" Line at the timing chain sprocket was parallel to the head at the "LT" mark (and confirmed Left Cylinder at TDC).
-Set points to open at "F" & "LF"
-Rocker Gap set .004 EX, .002 In
-Makes good compression

What else could be wrong?? Is there another timing procedure that I forgot?

I had to move the points quite a bit (Maybe 5 degrees to make them open at the correct point using a timing light). I did notice at one point the points sparking (which went away), which would point to a bad condenser. Could this lead it to fire at strange times?

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Not sure about this engine but could you be 180 degrees out with the timing. I definatly agree with 66 on this one

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. Sure enough 180 off. I installed the cam on the spark advance 180 off Runs great now!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Sure enough 180 off. I installed the cam on the spark advance 180 off Runs great now!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now just have a nasty oil leak behind the speedo cover.... ?? Maybe gasket installed backwards. Looks like I'm blocking an oil passage or something. Gotta pull it off tonight!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts